Chapter 22: Wrong Idea

Soap POV

Yesterday was.. Stressful, between Maddison, the hospital, and Lydia. The only thing that could make things worse, was if all the volcanos in the world erupted, or if the skies pour acid, or if they ran out of left shoes. But no matter how many world ending scenarios I think of, I still have work today.

Get up, get dressed, drive to work.

I like silent car rides, ever since the separation, I get to enjoy this small pleasure of mine more. There are days where Maddison is in the car with me, and we listen to music while singing. Well, those days I don't mind the noise. I look at my rearview mirror to her car seat, I wish.. Wait-

I quickly turn my body, looking at the backseat, Where the fuck is the carseat? I turn back resting my head on the wheel. I left it in Simon's car... "YOU'VE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME" I yell out. I stand corrected, Volcanos, acid rain, left shoes, and leaving your only car seat in someone else's car. I have to say, it's not the biggest deal that he has it, I'll just talk to him when I get the chance.

Drive to work, clock in, "HOPE YOU GIRLS ARE READY FOR TRAINING" Fuck me.

Normal day, or that's I thought at least, something felt out of place. When we were being briefed on the training plan, Simon walked into the room, and told the instructor that he was going to shadow him. Not out of the ordinary, other superiors would do the same sometimes.

Check in, ask questions, and not waiting for training to finish, leave. Simon is different for sure, instead of shadowing the drill sergeant, it felt more that he was shadowing me. No, watching me. In the locker room, we all get changed into our uniforms, right outside, there he is. He's leaned next to the door, with his arms crossed, everyone who passes by him, he keeps his focus on the ground, and so do they.

When I exit the room, his eyes shift over mine, we share a glance. "MacTavish" Simon nods at me in a low tone, "Lieutenant" I say nodding back to him. That felt like the end of it, but unfortunately not, cause in the same training section, I was stood by the most motivated and energetic person I know.

"MacTavish" she shows me fake smile, "Gold" I respond, ignoring her looks. "Seems like being friends with the Lieutenant didn't get you out of training today" She whispers, looking forward. I take a breath, Already going for it I guess, "Maybe if your superiors liked you, you wouldn't be in basic training, first class private, Ericka Gold" I whisper back, looking forward.

She turns to me with a shocked look, "What?" She says, she looks around. Tapping the guy next to her "What's your rank?" She asks him. He mumbles something to her, "Oh son of bi-". I quickly tone her out, while her failures are funny, across the field he's there. The sargent is talking to him, and through the crowd, he's looking directly at me.

Well I don't know if he's actually looking at me, could be coincidental. I think... Laps in formation, conditioning, and spread out workouts across the yard. Normal day, but during each of our training segments, I would catch him looking my direction. I was planning on waiting to talk to him, but I guess I could talk to him sooner.

 "OK 10 MINUTE BREAK, THEN WE GET BACK ON THE FIELD" The sergeant yells, blowing a whistle. Better time than any, I look around for Simon, somehow he's escaped my field of vision. I take a walk around the yard, Knowing how closely he's been, I'd assume he's not far. Looking around for a moment, I start to smell smoke, cigarette smoke.

In a nook, I see Gold talking to someone, then pops out a hand. A hand covered by a skeleton glove, holding a cigarette, Found you. The hand flicks ashes onto the ground, I walk over "I understand your decision for put me in the lower rank training regiment, yes, but could we talk about what they go over during it? Seems a bit harsh for new hires".