Chapter 25: Last Day On Earth

Ghost POV

I walk into base, over my shoulder I carry a duffel bag full of clothes and other personal things I'd bring along with me. Through the halls, everyone still averts their gaze from me, passing by silently. None of them know about my deployment, Last day on earth, almost as if I was walking into the gates of hell. They see where I'm going, not stopping me, almost encouraging me to go.

I open Price's office door, "I PACKED ALL OF MY THICK JACKETS, LIKE SOME SORT OF DUMBASS" Gaz yells out. Yep, hell, "I never said that the location was cold" Price defends. Gaz has him by the collar, "WHY WOULD YOU ASK ME IF I LIKED THE COLD?" Gaz yells. Price puts his hands up, defensively "Well there still might be a breeze" Price says, trying to hide his laugh. "You're a real son of a bitch, you know that?" Gaz says, letting go of his collar.

I walk over to the chairs in front of his desk, setting my duffel bag next to it "Hey" I greet sitting. Gaz and Price looks over to me, "Ghost?" Gaz says, "Yeah?" I respond confused by his tone. "Here to drop off your stuff?" he asks, slowly walking towards me, I nod crossing my arms. "What'd you bring?" he asks, looking at my bag "Toothbrush, clothes, notebook" I say.

"How many jackets?" He asks, "Do you wish to search through my bag?" I ask. He takes my bag opening it "You mother fuckers-" Gaz says, looking at me. I shrug, Price is over by his desk, holding his stomach from laughing. Gaz walks over to him, hitting his arm "You're telling me I stayed in the barracks for NOTHING?" Gaz says angrily.

"And we were really confused when you told us that, no one said we were going to be in the cold" Price explains. Gaz points to him, "WHY DID YOU SAY YOU HATE THE COLD?" Gaz argues. Price puts his hands up defensively again "I was just telling you about myself, small talk" Price says. "FUCK YOUR SMALL TALK" Gaz yells.

"Kyle" I say, both of them turn to me, "I.. Am going to run home and get different clothes" Gaz says. Price puts his hand on his shoulder, "That wouldn't be wrong  to do.. Unfortunately-" Price says. Gaz rubs between his eyes, cursing to himself "If you tell me that they already picked up my bag-" Gaz says. "I feel that this a small misunderstanding, even though it was in the contract, AHEM, but that's not important" Price says.

"You're both bastards" Gaz says, walking to the door, Price lets out a hearty laugh. "We leave at 1am, be sure to be here by then" Price yells out. Gaz flips him off, leaving the room, I stand "You leaving too?" Price asks. I nod silently, he leans back on his desk "Not joining us for our traditional bar trip?" Price asks.

The night before we're deployed, we always go to a bar, drink the night away. Signaling the last night we're able to drink peacefully before we're thrown into the pit, I always go. Not tonight, because tonight.. I want to see you. "Not this time" I say, "Have something you need to do?" Price asks. I stay quiet, "Ghost, remember what I said, we don't send dog tags to-" I turn to him.

"And he's not.. He's so much more" I say, Price looks shocked by my words. "Then what are you to him?" Price asks, "He trusts me" I say, he scoffs. "Does he trust you, or did he just tell you that he did?" he asks, I pause, not really knowing the answer, I confidently say "We trust each other."

I walk to the door, His words mean nothing, all that matters is that you trust me. "Ghost" I turn to him, he shows me soft smile, "I know" he says in a soft tone. I furrow my brow, "You don't have to convince me that you do, I trust that you know what you're doing" Price explains. He walks over to me, patting my shoulder "Don't make me regret thinking that."

I nod, leaving his office, down the halls, out the doors. I stop, Should I call him? No, I should text him. I take out my phone, it's still barely morning, I should waste time before I do. I tap my foot on the concrete, 18 hours... 18 hours till I have to leave.