Chapter Eighteen - The Snake

The day after the Beacon Dance, Ruby gathered Sasuke and the rest of Team RWBY inside the dorm room. They discuss about what happened. 

Weiss: That was a risky move.

Blake: No, I think you handled it well.

Ruby: I hope so.

Sasuke: It would have been better if we caught the person who did this. 

Yang: Lighten up, Sasuke. I'm sure everything will be alright, Ruby. Oh, I know what will cheer you up!

Yang produces a cylindrical package the length of her forearm.

Ruby: What's that?

Yang: I don't know yet. Dad sent it to us. I thought we could open it together!

Ruby: Ooooh! Something from home!

Ruby zooms over to Yang and wraps herself around Yang, trying to take the cylinder from her. The package opens, and another cylinder, hairy and black, falls out onto the floor and starts to shake. The object suddenly transforms into a corgi. Team RWBY leans in, staring at it. The animal barks twice. While Weiss and Blake continue to react with great shock, Ruby and Yang react excitedly, with Ruby jumping in the air.

Ruby: Zwei!

Blake: He sent a dog?

Weiss: In the mail?

Yang: Oh, he does stuff like this all the time!

Blake disappears and jumps on Yang's bunk. The irony behind Blake's reaction wasn't lost on anyone

Blake: Your father or your dog?

Weiss: Are you telling me that this mangy... drooling... mutt is going to wiv wif us foweva? Oh, yes he is, yes he is! Oh, isn't he adorable!

Blake: Please keep it away from my belongings.

As Ruby, Yang and Weiss fawn over the dog, Sasuke speaks up. 

Sasuke: Maybe your dog could be useful. 

Ruby: What do you mean? 

Sasuke: Bring the dog over to where the the woman attacked us. 

Yang: Oh I get it! If Zwei can get a track of that lady's scent, then we can find her! 

Sasuke: Exactly. 

Ruby: Then let's go!

With that, Sasuke and Ruby lead Weiss, Blake and Yang to the spot where they encountered the woman. Just before they arrived, a white snake was slithering out of sight. When they arrived, Ruby sets Zwei down. 

Ruby: Here you go, Zwei!

Zwei sniffs around the area for a scent. After a moment, Zwei picks up a scent and barks. 

Ruby: Good boy! Lead the way, Zwei!

With that, Zwei begins following the scent, leading Sasuke and Team RWBY. They soon follow Zwei into the Forever Fall. At this point, some of the members of Team RWBY became cautious. 

Blake: Something's not right....maybe we should head back. 

Sasuke: This may be our best chance to get the bottom of this. Didn't you want to figure out the White Fang's involvement in this? 

Weiss: Maybe Blake is right. It is quite late. 

Ruby: We'll be fine, guys. 

With that, Sasuke and Team RWBY continued following Zwei into the Forever Fall. They were greeted by a calm and unsettling silence. After some time, Zwei reaches what seemed to be the end of the trail. 

Ruby: I'm not seeing anything. 

Yang: Maybe we should head back. 

As Yang said this, Sasuke activated his Sharingan. As soon as he did it, Sasuke could see something lurking nearby. Without hesitation, Sasuke pulls a Kunai and throws it at the shadowy figure. This alerts Team RWBY. 

Ruby: What was that?! 

Sasuke: We're not alone. 

???: My my my. I'm impressed. 

As the voice speaks out, a man with fair skin and long black hair emerged from the shadows. He wore plain grey garbs with a black polo and pants underneath, a thick purple rope belt tied in a large knot behind his back, blue tomoe-shaped earrings. 

???: You certainly haven't dropped your guard, have you? Heh. This promises to be quite entertaining.....

As the man introduced himself, he reveals a long tongue. 

Yang: This guy gives new meaning to the word creepy...

Ruby: Is...is that the person who attacked us at the dance? 

Sasuke: Who are you and why have you followed us? 

Stranger: My name is unimportant for now... And I've been keeping a close watch on you for quite some time. You have piqued my interest. 

As the stranger introduces himself, Sasuke and the rest of Team RWBY prepare their weapons. The stranger simply lets a smile escape his face as he gets a glance of Sasuke's Sharingan. 

Stranger: I'll...keep this brief. You have traveled here today in search of knowledge--to hone your craft and acquire new skills. And when you have finished, you plan to dedicate your life to the protection of the people. But I look amongst you, and all I see is wasted energy, in need of purpose – direction. You assume knowledge will free you of this, but your time at this school will prove that knowledge can only carry you so far. It is up to you to take the first step.

As the stranger said this, Sasuke and Team RWBY quickly recognized the words spoken by the stranger. 

Weiss: Headmaster Ozpin spoke those words at our initiation....

Ruby: Who....are you?

Stranger: Old Ozpin would say that I am among his greatest failures. I however see myself in a...different light. But I digress. When this encounter is all over, one of us will be walking out of the Forever Fall......and the other will be dead....

The stranger then casts his eyes on Sasuke and Team RWBY. As they met his glance, the stranger exudes pure killing intention, paralyzing Sasuke and Team RWBY as they saw visions of their gruesome deaths. In that moment, Sasuke and Team RWBY were now at the mercy of the snake.