Ch.2 - The Spirits and a Choice

"What the...?" Mrs.Afton looked around. They were all here.

The children, Henry, her daughter, her youngest, Micheal, even William.

But where was here? All she saw was another void. The afterlife? If it was, how disappointing.

Suddenly, Cassidy rammed into her ex-husband then they were gone.

The bear eared boy, Gabriel, snickered, "Afton is going to hell."

Sure, she knew he meant Will, but Claire felt offended.

Mrs.Afton realized Micheal turned the other way. She wanted to hug her son; Claire knew had been lonely. They all died, leaving him alone too early. He grew up without anyone.

But at the same time, how willing would he be to hug someone who took a role in his death? All these people here had a part in his death. He was some of the collateral damage in this case.

Her son, the walking corpse.

Elizabeth approached him to tap his shoulder. Mike flinched when he saw her.

"Eggs Benedict?" She hissed. Of course Elizabeth hadn't realized she killed her brother. Claire only noticed after the fact, but Elizabeth was too blind (and a child) to notice at all.

"'Beth?" Micheal said breathlessly, taking off the white animatronic mask obscuring his face. His flesh was purplish gray, his eyes were robotic eyes, and his skin was torn at the corners of his mouth. His breathing became unsteady as he gripped his shaking hands to his chest. Even without lungs, he started hyperventilating.

Elizabeth's eyes widened in shock, "Mikey... y-you're 'Eggs'?!"

He shook his head, "Eggs- That's not my name." He put an arm around his empty stomach.

Elizabeth grabbed his rotting hand, "I didn't know it was y-"

"But you killed either way," his voice weighed with trauma and disappointment.

"B-but it wasn't me!! It was— Charlie!" the ginger haired girl stammered accusingly. (Author's note: this detail is based off John/Fuhnaff's theory)

Charlotte glared, confused.

"Why would Charlotte be in circus baby?"

"I don't know! She just was. Even when I first came!"

Micheal shook his head, "Bullcrap." he muttered angrily.

"Well how do you think it felt to be so lone-"

"You don't know what I've been through!" Micheal snarled.

Mike's own yell snapped him out of his singular focus on his sister. He looked around to see who was looking.

He glared spitefully at his father and his gaze softened when he saw his mother. Lastly, his eyes set on his brother, "I'm so sorry," Mike whispered in a broken voice.

Claire really wanted to comfort the eldest now, but he placed his mask back on and distanced himself more.

One by one, a balloon appeared before each of them— and when each spirit grabbed theirs, they were released with a soft glow.

The four missing children (excluding Cassidy), were finally free.

Henry saw his balloon, giving Claire and Charlie a brief smile before taking it. Evan grasped his balloon too, but kinda let go. When Evan disappeared, his glow was a bit red.

There were four left. Micheal, Charlie, Elizabeth, herself.

Elizabeth swatted the chance of release away, "I WANT TO BE WITH DADDY!" She screeched in a tantrum. In a red flash, she also was sent like Evan, Claire wondered where.

"Elizabeth- wait!" Micheal tried to grab Liz when she left, which meant he also missed his chance to be freed and was taken by red.

Charlie looked at the balloon longingly, "Father... I want to join you... but this isn't over yet." She gave a sad, similar smile to Henry's and left Claire alone in the void.

It was Claire's turn, obviously she would take the opportunity of freedom. Her balloon came... telling her a message through a disembodied voice,"You have a choice, Claire Schmidt. A second chance."

Mrs.Afton was caught off guard and confused by this offer. "Like, Rebirth?"

"Not necessarily. Letting you live again at the same age you died. In this timeline though, you can start anew and make better choices."

"No... I don't want a restart. I want the end." She swiped at the balloon but it drifted slightly out of reach.

The voice gave a sound that was like mocking laughter, "Just reconsider."

"I don't want to." Claire said stubbornly.

"Like your daughter... what if you look back? See what happened all over with new eyes, now that you know what will happen."

This voice was annoyingly persistent. There was no arguing. Sighing she resigned, "Alright. But I don't want'a, for your information. Let's be over with this flashback."