Nevermind, She's Dead

TW: A dead person,

Urgently, they got the kids up and rushed them all into the car. Except for William in his purple tee and now blue jeans, the Afton family wasn't able to get ready. Claire drove her gray van, her husband beside her, and the kids all piled themselves in the back. Elizabeth was already back asleep, the eldest was rightfully grumpy, and C.C was wide awake, alert and slightly confused. She was driving slightly above speed limits.

Her daughter wore a pink tank top with white sleeping pants. C.C. had white shorts and a blue shirt with two stripes. Mike wore red shorts and —somehow in the middle of summer— a sweater. Actually, maybe that's why he's grumpy.

"M-mom," the younger of the boys stutter, "Where are we going?"

Michael chimes in, "Where the bloody hell do we need to be..." he yawns, "...This early in the morning."

Just as soon as they ask, she pulls up to the diner, again, police cars are already outside. William grumbles something and opens the door but leaning against the car like their broody teenage son would. Said son had his head pressed on his window, observing.

She sighs, contemplating what to tell them. Lie? No, because that's horrible. But telling the truth would devastate them. To make delivering the news worse, Elizabeth woke up. The kids were all so close to Charlotte... "Kids... um... Charlotte... something happened to her," the reality of her niece's death was hitting her as she said it, her voice cracking.

Elizabeth perked up immediately, "Wait, what? Charlotte? What?"

Now Claire definitely couldn't break it to them, "I don't know yet, Beth," she reaches behind her to place a hand on her daughter's, then younger son's, knee, "But we'll find out. Does that Sound okay?" She watches their faces. Her second and third kids look scared... her first looks suspicious. He squints and grits his teeth.

"Mike," she smiles gently at him, "Watch your siblings, I'm going to check out what's happening."

She promptly leaves the front driver seat, leaving the car keys with him and the window rolled down. But a second set of car doors shutting behind her made her turn back around. Michael stood behind her, his red sweater brighter looking in the sunlight, "Michael, I told you to watch over your siblings."

He frowns, "Mom can you just tell me what the hell is happening?"

Her mind freezes a bit at his confrontation, "Mike, I already said I don't know what's going on..."

"Bloody- no! You do, mom. I'm not stupid like my siblings are and taking your lame ass excuses. Just tell me and I'll leave you alone," He tugs at his foxy mask instead of his hair, "I promise I won't tell Cee and Beth whatever it is." He avoids eye contact, but Claire can tell he's nervous by his hushed tone, tugging at his mask, and his deeper slouch. But there really was no hiding it from him. He was possibly making correlations from Susie's missing status too.

"Look, Mike... Charlotte's... dead," his face pales in disbelief, "Her body was found this morning by Uncle Henry."

"H-how?"

She inhales... "She was killed."

"A murderer," he seethes, "Why're we here?"

"We're just here to check up on my cousin."

He looks beyond her, "Uncle looks horrible."

She looks to the same place and he does. His hazel hair is all a mess, his eyes are red and puffy. Half of Henry's face he lets rest in his palm while the other clumps up his ball of tissues. Further to the left of him, from the alley, 2 men wheel out a stretcher with a bag slightly larger than that of a duffel bag. Charlotte.

Michael's mouth gapes slightly, the truth of the matter hitting both of them harder. 2 more people walk up to them, and another to William who is still leaning against the car in the most casual fashion possible. They interview the 3 older members of the Afton family about the deceased child and then leave with their information in hopes to find a lead on who would do such a horrible thing to a child.

Michael grips his hands into fists. He would never admit it, but he loved his siblings and cousin. "Are you doing okay, Mike?"

His jaw tightens, "I hope whoever did this..." he abruptly turns back to the car, "I hope they die in a fire."

I posted. Happy? :)