Ch.6 - Home We Go

TW: Afton family cussing, mention of crime

The walk from the restaurant to their house was only 10 minutes, but driving was quicker. William took his purple car and Claire took her gray van back. After backing into the driveway, Elizabeth jumped out of William's vehicle.

As she got out, she screamed through the door, "I HATE YOU DADDY!" before running into the house tearfully.

Michael and C.C. exited Claire's van since they rode with their mom, "What's wrong?" C.C. questioned Mike.

"Beyond me. Everyone's losing their shit today," the eldest muttered to avoid his parent's prying ears. The teen led his brother inside. The parents were the last to leave their vehicles. Mrs.Afton's face twisted in concern as Mr.Afton pinched the bridge of his nose. She held her hand out to comfort him, but he swiftly walked inside without taking any notice of her. Today was a bad day for all of them.

The woman rushed herself inside and set her stuff down at the door. Checking the living room for all the kids— Liz moping on the floor, C.C. trying his best to comfort her, and... Michael suspiciously hidden behind the clock. Nothing new, nothing to worry about.

As she approached the closed door of the master bedroom, she tried to script what she'd say to her husband.

The situation and Will are complicated and unpredictable. Deciding to just improvise, she gently pushes the door open, "Knock knock... you there Love?"

She heard a sigh and grumbling from inside. She took a peek to see her husband on his side of the bed, sitting up with his face in his hands. The empty space next to him was soon taken by herself.

"Darling, today's just so stressful—"

She frowned, "I know. I'm sorry..."

"Stupid Henry couldn't repair his own junk, the pizzeria was a mess, foxy's still out of order, and that— KID— arghhh. They're fucking accusing me of... whatever. And then Elizabeth just keeps bothering me to see my new animatronic line."

Claire's attention perked up at a certain detail, "Accusing you?"

"Of killing that child," he finished.

She leaned in towards and hugged him, "It's okay, Will. I know you wouldn't ever do that. You love those kids." That's what she thought at the time, dead claire would scoff at her naive self.

At the time, she didn't notice William stiffen either. But what she did notice was a faint familiar smell, "William. Did you drink?"

He sighed, caught, "Only a bit during lunch."

Mrs.Afton realized she was also as tired as her lover; so much so that she couldn't get mad. She released him from her hug to look him in the eyes. His eye bags were worsening to become sort of purple-y, making her worry for his health.

Slowly she exhaled, "Just get some sleep William."

His eyes widened at his full name, before looking at the clock, "It's only 4:00."

"It's fine. You need the rest," she comforted more, helping him by getting his pajama shirt and shorts. He took off his orange tie and purple jacket, then set them on the nightstand.

They both changed into their night clothes and Claire made sure he fell asleep. She would wish he slept peacefully, but he unconsciously tossed— and turned —and snored —and did everything that indicated an uncomfortable sleep. Giving another sigh, the woman pushed back her husband's brown hair to kiss his forehead before leaving the room.

Motherly duties and responsibilities made her make sure her kids were sleeping.
Spoiler alert: they weren't sleeping. Quite the opposite, actually. Mrs.Afton walked into the living room to see Michael cackling, with his Foxy mask fully covering his face. Automatically meaning he had just scared his younger brother. To prove that more, C.C. was bawling on his knees on the ground; one of his knees was scraped open. Maybe that could be the reason for his crying, but he cried every time he got scared, so it was only Claire's wishful thinking.

"Oh come ON. Fucking Crying Child can't take a small fright?" the older Afton child hissed to the younger Afton.

"Mikey, please stop! What did I do to you?" the small boy answered in a voice smaller than himself.

"Yeah Mike! I'm telling mommy!" their ginger-haired sister screeched.

"Don't you dare, ya lil bitch!" Michael responded, shoving her hard in the shoulder with a hand.

Elizabeth fell and C.C. cried louder empathetically, "OUCH! Ugh! MOMMMYYYYYYY!!!"

Claire jogged into the room, "Wha-? C.C.!" she crouched down then scooped her son up into her arms.

She could hear Mike whisper to Beth, "Snitches are bitches."

Claire started, "Mike..."

"MOMMYYY!! Michael was cursing and bullying us really meanly!" Elizabeth whined.

"Snitch!" Mike insulted and went into a pose that threatened to lunge at her.

"Michael Schmidt Afton! Just stop and go to your room." she commanded.

"But mo-"

"Right now!"

He growled and stomped out so hard that the furniture around him shook. Elizabeth formed an 'o' shape with her mouth in shock and C.C. continued to sob uncontrollably.

"Time for bed, Beth. Just sleep and I'll be in your room soon."

She frowned to her mom, "You promise?"

"I promise."

Her daughter walked to the restroom to brush her teeth. Her son only sniffled quietly now, hugging her.

"You okay?"

He sniffed, "M-my knee!"

"I know. Let's get you first aid." Carrying him to the guest bathroom, she sat him on the closed toilet seat and pulled a small white box from the medicine cabinet. She pulled out a bandage and an alcohol wipe.
"This might sting a bit, okay C.C.?"

He whimpered but nodded. Gently dabbing it on the wound, he cried softly some more, mostly enduring the pain pretty well. She wiped off all the excess blood until it was just the stuff inside the cut, which was surprisingly deep. Unwrapping the bandage she plastered it over the wound and gave it a light kiss.

"All better!"

The boy looked down at the bandage, "When will it heal?"

She thought about how to answer this so he wasn't afraid, "Well... I don't know. It may be a while," his brow furrowed and he bit his lip, "But! It's okay because- long healing means there might be a scar. Battle scar! Y'know? Makes you look tough!" She patted his head of brown hair, similar to his brother and father's.

The boy frowned again, fiddling with the hem of his shorts, "But I'm not tough though!"

Smiling at the child she loved, "Of course you're tough, bud! You're an Afton! When we get down... we always come back."

Now, knowing the full story, anyone would notice the corniness and irony of her wording.

But that got the message to C.C., so it worked.

She held his hand to lead him, through one of his two doors, into his room, and onto the triangle patterned bed. He nestled his head onto the pillow comfortably when Mrs.Afton handed him his gold Fredbear plush.

"Have good dreams baby. I love you."

He grinned slightly, drifting off, " ...love...you..."

The young Afton was sleeping soon, but Claire stayed there, stroking his head. She whispered to him:

"Tomorrow is another day."

Author's note: Hello reader! Thank you so much for reading! I duplicated the length of this chapter and I'll try to keep chapters this long from now on. I have the other 2 stories I'm working on, and 5 more in the background, sorry if single updates weekly is too little. I have a lot of ideas, but also want to put out quality work. 1000 words per chapter is the goal (and those are still technically small chapters). Since this is most successful of my 3 books so far, I'll prioritize it. The other two, a Security Breach daycare story and an original with OC's of mine. Check them out if you're bored, or not. Vote if you liked, follow if you like my stuff, critique if you have any, do all, or do nothing. Do what you want! Have a good day/night!