Ch.8 - A Chat with Michael

Claire took a deep breath before getting to Mike's door; she had to be prepared for anything from a raging teen.

She knocked lightly on the door, "Mike?" She heard a low grumble from further in the room, "It's me. Your mother."
It was quiet on the other side of the door, "If you don't respond, I'm coming in..." Still quiet. "Opening door..."
She really wanted to give him a chance to respond, "Three..." he was possibly more stubborn than his sister though, "Two... one."

She slowly opened the door. Michael laid on his bed; clothed in what he wore earlier with his feet where his head should be and vice versa. Presumably he was turned this way to look out his window. Nothing was out there, but sometimes it's nice to just look out.

"Mike..."

"I'm in trouble. Aren't I?"

She gave a sigh, "Yes."

"Tch. Figured." His voice was echoey but muffled. Claire noticed he still wore his foxy mask. Maybe it wasn't a good thing he admired a robot fox pirate.

"Michael. You need to stop with your vulgar language. Plus, could you tell me what happened earlier?"

He answered similarly to his sister, "I don't..." he swore under his breath, "I dunno."

Mrs.Afton grabbed his shoulder and rolled him over. He let his head naturally turn to her, like a lifeless rag doll, "What?"

Lifting his mask off his face and placing it aside, "I'm sure you know. You most definitely know how to control your mouth if you're keeping yourself from talking. I assume you would know why your brother would be crying under your looming as well."

This talk wasn't as harsh as either of them expected, "'Kay. I could shuddup if you want me to." He started turning back, but Claire held his arm in place. He looked into his mother's eyes. He had similar eyes to Will. Micheal might even be a spitting image of his father.

"I just need you to use more considerate language around your siblings."

"Mm. K." he turned more forcefully.

"No- Mike!" She exhaled when she got him to face her again, "Why do you bully your little brother? He's a little kid."

He deadpanned to his mother, "I don't like little kids." Between Mike and Will, their faces were similar, but their personalities were mirrored. Will adored kids— after all he made a franchise for their entertainment.

Claire looked at her son curiously, "That can't be your only reason..."

He avoided her eyes, suddenly confessing, "Today threw me off. That's all."

She raised one of her eyebrows, "How so?"

He shrugged, "It was weird. I heard from my friend that his sister and dog were missing. Felt bad. I didn't really know the sis, but I knew the dog, Mac. He couldn't be gone, I just... felt bad. If anyone did anything to them, that person deserves to burn up in flames. Multiple times."

Claire smiled, caught off guard by how much Michael silently cared for other people. Just, bullying your brother isn't a good way to show that. She brushed back his messy mullet with a hand, "I get it. I'm worried too."
He nodded and picked on invisible lint on the bed.
"Just sleep now. I know it's early, but we all need rest."

Mike repeated his nod then sat up, about to set himself in the proper position in his bed. Claire stopped him in an embrace. The duration of the hug was a minute before he brushed off and laid down facing the wall. Mrs.Afton grinned, generally surprised Mike opened up then let Claire touch— let alone hug—him.

Claire went into her own bed, pleased with the chats she had with her kids. Tomorrow was another day... and she was optimistic about it.

Sleeping early tonight! 1am!