Ch.7 - A Chat with Elizabeth

C.C. was sound asleep after a while. It was very early to sleep, but after today, rest was needed. Claire realized she sat in his room for around an hour— it was currently 5:26 pm. She made sure to softly close the door when she exited. Looking to the doors in the hallway, wondering which way to go.

Claire could enter her daughter, Elizabeth's room; talk about what was wrong with her today. In a sort of interrogation consolation way. OR, give Michael a stern lecture on his vulgar language and horrible treatment to his siblings.

Mrs.Afton decided since she promised Elizabeth she'd go to her room, she visited her daughter before the girl would sleep.

She knocked, but being a mother she decided she should just open the door. Elizabeth was peacefully taking apart and putting together parts or animatronic. There was a white and pink fox head on the floor next to it. Much like her father, Elizabeth was fascinated with the inner workings of robotics and animatronics.

Though Claire disapproved of her messing with metal parts, at least there was no electricity involved yet.
"Beth?"

The girl's ginger hair bounced when she flinched, not yet expecting her mom.

"Get in bed now."

She drew her attention to the clock hung on her wall near the door, "But it's not even eight," which was her normal bed time, "I have a lot of time."

Claire frowned at the girl's disobedience that mostly directed to her only. The girl almost always immediately listened to her father's every order. Even if she overhears what her father desires, Elizabeth works excessively to get what he wants— most times, never getting any benefit from it.

Undeniably, Will was her favorite parent.

Being a stubborn child, Mrs.Afton saw no use in arguing with her daughter and sat at the edge of the bed.

Elizabeth didn't spare glances and continued to click the metal pieces in places...whether they were correctly put together or not, Claire couldn't tell.

"Are you okay, Lizzy?" she asked softly.

She responded absently: "Mhm."

"Beth."

"Hm?"

"Beth, listen to me!" she ordered to the disrespecting child.

Elizabeth huffed then practically slammed the metal parts on the floor, "What?!"

Claire shoved her irritation down, reminding herself this conversation was supposed to be as a caring mother, not a raging lecture to her kid's attitude. The latter was reserved for the eldest.

"Beth... is there something wrong?"

Her daughter stopped the glaring, her expression softening, "I 'unno."

Mrs Afton slipped off the bed and sat next to the kid, placing a hand over hers. "If you didn't know... it wouldn't be bothering you as much. Tell me Elizabeth."

Elizabeth fidgeted with the part of her blue skirt that covered her knees, "Daddy's been really mean..."

"Mean?" Claire questioned, unfazed, "How so, baby?"
Tears surfaced to the child's eyes, "He won't let me see the new bots!"

Mrs.Afton took a moment to remember what she meant, "The funtimes?"

Her daughter gave a swift nod, "Especially Circus baby!"
Circus baby. An animatronic that Claire didn't necessarily like. She found that robot lady unsettling.

"Why are you so upset about that one specifically?"

"Because she's so pretty and shiny!"—the woman wouldn't agree—"Didn't he make her just for me?"

Had William told her that? "Are you sure it's-"

"She."

"-she's—meant for you?"

Elizabeth took a deep breath to recount her memory of it, "Yes! I overheard him from his office! Telling Circus Baby, 'You're perfect for my little girl!"— she deepened her voice to mimic her father—"Like that."

The mother hugged her daughter, indecisive on how to respond to the little girl's observations. They sat together, hugging for some minutes. The length of the hug seemed to make Beth forget her dilemma.

"Can I keep building?" she asked her mom, also breaking the silence.

Claire didn't want her to, "Fine. But go to sleep at eight. Got it?"

The girl paused, combing her fingers through her curly hair, "...Alright mommy.!"

Claire kissed Elizabeth on her forehead, and left for Michael's room.

If she could muster the energy...

That boy was in a lot of trouble.

Short chapter, I know! BUT
My chapters are on average shorter than others, but I'd like to know: would people like shorter chapters with more updates or longer chapters with an update per week (possibly biweekly). I'll post another shorter chapter in 2 days from now. Let me know your preference! Have a good morning/day/noon/evening/night/midnight!