Chapter 11

The last Quidditch game was in a few days, and our entire team was nervous. This could determine whether we won the house cup or not, and, of course, like any team, we hoped to win. On weekends we started doing extra practices, for twice the amount of usual time. We'd practice against Ravenclaw often, as they'd offered to help us prepare. Our team would practice different ways to get the snitch, such as my plan of Draco never taking his eyes off of it unless it went behind him before the game started. Or having Marcus or one of the other Chasers catch the Quaffle first, and keeping close contact with each other for easy passes if someone tried to steal.

It was rough practices, but as usual, I didn't let the other team get any points. That was my motivation at any game, to win. I was competitive, I'll admit. Rarely ever did I allow the other team to get a point. Unless it was flying lessons and Madame Hooch told me to keep the competitiveness down and let the other team score a few points. As much as the HufflePuff team would tease our team about how 'we're so going to lose' I never let it get to me. None of our team even listened to the HufflePuff students. They were all fluffy-bunnies. Meaning they were too soft and kind. Then again, it was HufflePuff for a reason.

We all figured, that after many days and hours of rough practices against Ravenclaw, who were nice enough to help us, that we'd be ready. Marcus had said he'd played against HufflePuff in previous years, as he was above us. He'd say 'they're weak. But they're competitive. They don't give up easily.' As a way to tell us we needed to win the game and condition ourselves to get ready for a long game. And after all the practices the past two months, I was getting used to the long, typical two to five hour practices. On Wednesday mornings, we'd all give our professors notice that the entire Slytherin Quidditch team wouldn't be in school for the first four hours. Which meant Draco and I had Millicent doing our homework for us from the morning classes.

At practice, sometimes, Marcus Flint would give me the authority to order around the team. He would willingly let me, which had surprised me at first, but then I learned it was because he wasn't smart enough to see what we were doing wrong. Perhaps it was because I was Keeper, always watching over the game with a quick wye, following the chasers and Quaffle around the Quidditch pitch. We'd have Madame Hooch release the balls for us, and try out the plans. Some turned out horrible, and others great. Then we'd have to narrow down our plans late at night when everyone was asleep. We'd narrow it down to two really good, house cup winning plans, and debate every night which to use at the game.

Granted, the game wasn't for four days now, but everyone was freaking out. We were still deciding on a game plan, and our two beaters, who I never bothered to learn the names of, were actually the only ones who ever panicked about the game. I had almost been tempted to turn them into apples at one meeting. I was hungry at the time, ok? One of our chasers, who I never bother to learn the name of either, had suggested we have a party if we won the last game. As both a going away and congratulations for our team players. The going away part for the Seventh Years, and a congratulations party for everyone on the team. Marcus and Draco were the first to agree to the idea. With myself and the rest of the team following closely behind.

It was breakfast time when I woke up. The meeting last night was abnormally long, having our entire team up until three in the morning. Leaving each of us with three hours of sleep unless some of us slept in. Like me for example. I got dressed and headed to the Great Hall, where I was greeted by Fred and George Weasley. The two were wishing me luck on the game in three days. They'd done that every morning since we all found out when the game would be. I'd come to think they actually did wish me luck for the game, but I wouldn't believe it until Ron assured me each day during Charms class that they did. Ron and I were becoming friends, now with my parents gone, and everyone knowing since someone at the party had spread it around. It wasn't Draco, myself, Crabbe, Goyle, or Snape. Which lead us all to assume it was Blaise, who had probably told Pansy. With Pansy's big mouth knowing, she probably then spread the fact around school.