Unexpected Discovery:

Ehehe y'all might hate me after this chapter....

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~Newt~

I turned over the object in my hand. The cylinder had a small screen with a number 7 glowing in red. An image of the crates tha often came in the lift flashed in my mind. "These are the same letters that come on our supplies," I stated.

"Yeah. Whoever put us here obviously made the grievers," Thomas replied motioning to the cylinder. "This is the first real clue. The first anything you've found in three years right?"

"Right," Minho said.

"Newt. We gotta go back out there," Thomas said. "Who knows where this might lead us."

Gally huffed next to me. I looked over at him.

"You see what he's trying to do right?" Gally looked between Thomas and I.

"First he breaks our rules and then he tries to convince us to abandon them totally. What? The rules are the only thing that have ever held us together. Why now are we questioning them?"

I wanted to roll my eyes.

"If Alby was here you know he would agree with me." Gally pointed at Thomas, "This shank needs to be punished."

I looked from Gally to Thomas. I passed the cylinder back to Minho, "You're right. Thomas broke the rules. One night in the pit no food."

"Oh come on Newt! One night in the pit? You think that's going to keep him from going into the maze?"

"No," I shrugged. I didn't want to come right out and tell Gally that I was on Thomas's side. "And we can't just have non runners running into the maze whenever they feel like it. So let's just make this official." I looked over at the newest guy. "Starting tomorrow you're a runner."

"Wow," Gally shook his head and walked a few steps. He left after brushing Frypan off.

"Thanks Newt," Thomas smiled.

I shook my head, "You my friend, have a death wish."

                I stalked across the glade, through the trees, and across the footbridge to my hut. I slipped inside and tossed my harness on the table. Zoe was curled up on the bed with her knees pulled up to her chest. Her hair fell in a wave over her shoulder. I smiled and spread a blanket over her. Her eyes fluttered open when I sat down next to her.

"You're alive," She chuckled. "I figured Gally would have pulled you apart."

"That shank is not as tough as he thinks," I chuckled and laid down next to her.

Zoe rubbed her eyes, "I must have fallen asleep."

"You've been so tired lately," I brushed a strand of hair out of her eyes. "Are you feeling okay?"

"Well it's been a heck of a hard week," she frowned.

"I guess you're right," I kissed her forehead. "Are you sure you're alright?"

"Positive." Zoe lid over and rested against my chest. I put my arms around her and rested my chin on her head.

~Zoe~
      That night I couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned for an hour before giving up. Newt was out cold. The sound of his heavy breathing filled the room as I eased myself out of the bed and pulled my shoes on. I grabbed some things out of my box and walked to the washrooms. The moon lit up the glade as I walked across the grass. In the distance I heard the scream of a griever. I looked at all four of the doors. Closed. Phewf.