11. The key

"Yes jungkook. You are our key"

"What do you mean I'm the key? The key to what?"

Hoseok takes a step towards jungkook, his face dark and serious. "The key to killing the Dragon king."

His words slide through jungkook like a blade. He feels his knees buckle. "Y-you want me to do what?". 

"You're close to the dragon king. He has taken a liking to you."

"You chose wrong."

"No. You're the only choice, jungkook. You are the only way. The only way to save everyone." 

Hearing enough, jungkook pivots to run away....but he can't. His feet are stuck to the tunnel floor, too weak to move. "W-what are you doing?" 

"Explaining the truth to you."

"What fucking truth? That I'm some 'Chosen one'?" Jungkook scoffs.

"You are. Scoff at it all you want, but you are what you are."

"I think I'd know if I was some fated-"

"The dragon king is always in possession of a power that is unstoppable. And that king passes it along to his first born child every few decades , continuing the cycle of violence. No one has ever gotten close enough to kill him and end the cycle. Not until you." 

"If you don't release me, I'll kill you not Taehyung."

"'Taehyung'? Since when does any human refer to the dragon king by his given name?"

Jungkook wanted to smack himself for not being careful now he needed to cover up.  "I called him that to be disrespectful. I never waste a chance to knock him down when his back is turned." Jungkook was hoping hoseok to believe him. 

"Uh-huh and yet you won't move against him? This 'Taehyung' you so disrespect?"

"Call him what you want. I'm not murdering him or anyone."

"So you'd rather protect the creature that's responsible for your brother's death?"

Jungkook stops struggling. Stops breathing altogether. "No. He had nothing to do with Jeongguk's death. He couldn't have." 

"I know you don't want to hear this, jungkook, but your dragon king has been lying to you."

"I won't listen to your lies."

"You don't have to listen just watch." Hoseok presses his palm against jungkook's forehead before he can dodge. He whispers and it is as if six voices come out from his throat. "Carabonara."

With a force of a blow, jungkook is knocked backward. He plunges through darkness, through space. Then, he's gently floating through the clouds. When they part, a memory takes shape.....one that he couldn't recall until now. 

"Come on, kook! Don't be a scaredy-cat!" Jungkook's twin brother jumps and kicks the air with a wide, mischievous grin on his face. Jungkook clamors after him. 

"I'm not a scaredy cat gguk!"

"Oh yeeeah? Why won't you go in the old barn then?"

"Because we are not allowed."

"I won't tell if you won't!"

"But what if we get caught-"

Jeongguk ducks and rolls into the abandoned barn. Jungkook stops and bites his lips staring up at it. Then, with a gulp of courage, he follows his brother inside.