20. The thread of fate

The last chapter of the book... Excited??? Let's get it!!!

Taehyung's kiss, like the last flicker of hope in swallowing darkness, has restored jungkook's mark and saved his life. 

But it has also restored Taehyung's fatal curse and the day has come for it to take his life. 

As Taehyung loses balance, jungkook grabs his shirt and tugs him into his embrace before hitting the scorched earth. 

Jungkook lays him in his lap.

Taehyung smiles weakly. All of his former, formidable strength sapped from him with a single tick  of the clock

"Sorry. I know I told you not to leave me but... It's me who's going to leave you." 

"No. You are not fucking dying on me!" 

"I don't want to. I want to stay."  

"Then stay. Damn it!"

Taehyung shakes his head, pained, his breathing growing shallow and ragged. 

"I'm so sorry, petal." 

"No! You should have just let me die! Why did you kiss me?!"

Jungkook clutches him and sobs. 

Taehyung reaches up and touches his cheeks.

"Because I love you. It's as simple as that." 

Jungkook stares at him, his words penetrating deep. 

"It's better this way. I can take the curse with me. All of this pain and suffering... it will end." 

"It won't end. Not for me. It's the only beginning of my suffering. Life will be hell without you" 

"Petal... I know this isn't fair." 

Jungkook's whole body trembles with grief and anger. But taehyung cups his cheek with the softest smile.   

Jungkook cries quietly. Taehyung falls back, growing weaker. 

"I'm out of time, petal." 

Jungkook shakes his head, fresh tears falling down his cheeks.

"No. Please. Please." 

A horrible pain grips Taehyung. He arches his back, clutching his chest, as though something is clawing him from inside. 

Jungkook shuts his eyes, trying to summon his powers but it doesn't come. 

Taehyung twists and screams holding his chest, as a horrific darkness falls over them both

"This isn't working. I don't know what to do. I-" 

"Look at me. Look"

Taehyung cups Jungkook's face in his hands, gasping for breath.