Trouble with a human

I enjoyed my time with the Volturi. I loved spending time with Jane and Alec, we were an inseparable trio, that is with the exception of my very possessive mate. If I spent too much time for his liking with my siblings he pouted and would send them to Aro for guard duty and spent the time cuddling me and kissing me. I loved him even when he was a jealous little cat with purrs that made me happy.

I spent a lot of time when Caius was in trials hanging out with the guard. I'd gotten to know them quite well and according to Marcus our bonds were increasing by the day which made me happy. I also on occasion served as an advisor during trials which set Caius off incredibly. Once in a blue moon I was the executioner with my fire power.

Life was great until today. It had been about 9 months since I cut off contact with all of the Olympic coven, except Jasper. I couldn't cut him out of my life, he was my soul brother and we needed each other. He told me all about the incident with Bella and them all leaving Forks and her behind as per Edwards request. I wasn't expecting to be as rudely interrupted as I was.

"SIS! Get down from there, you're needed in the throne room NOW!"

Jane shrieked, looking completely enraged. She surprised me and I fell off my bed. I looked at her with a quirked eyebrow, but when I saw the fire in her eyes I knew I needed to fly. I booked it down to the throne room as fast as possible and when I got there I wanted to roll my eyes so far back into my head they stayed there.

Kneeling in front of the three kings was Edward Cullen.

"I honestly didn't think you'd be stupid enough to turn up here Ed."

All eyes were on me and I immediately knew I should have kept my mouth shut as I looked at the men sitting on the thrones. Marcus held a proud look, Aro looked annoyed and Caius was smirking at me, and as I made eye contact he winked at me.

"Dear Lydia, young Edward here has come asking us to end his life as his mate is dead, we have not come to a conclusion yet. That is why we asked Jane to go and retrieve you. What do you think, dear one?"

I looked at Edward who really looked dishevelled. I pondered everything, our past, the laws, his power and obviously the coven we had been a part of. I looked at Caius who shrugged nonchalantly before looking at Edward.

"I'm sorry Edward. I can only imagine what you're feeling because Bella is dead but I will not put Carlisle and the rest of the Cullens through the pain of losing you. My answer is no."

I turned and looked Aro square in the face and showed my flames.

"I will have no part in this."

I flew over to Caius and sat on his lap before cuddling into him. I was annoyed and hurt. A small part of me regretted saying no but I wouldn't do that to Carlisle, I valued him too much.

"Well now, I see no reason for you to stay here, Edward, please give our respects to Carlisle."

Aro motioned him out and I let out a sigh of annoyance. My reaction caused Caius to purr softly. I sat there contently in his arms, watching Jane and Alec talk to Aro as Marcus sat like a statue. Suddenly Aro jolted forward and sent Felix and Demitri out into the halls. Caius yanked me back into him as he growled protectively. I nuzzled into him and ran my hand through his hair to try and calm him down. But that seemed futile as the doors were opened and in walked Janey followed by Edward and Alice, and a human I could only infer was Bella.

"Ahh Bella is alive after all. How wonderful that we did not go through with your wish then Edward."

Alice and I made eye contact before she looked away sadly. I sighed but I didn't say or do anything. Actually I zoned out until I heard Aro call for me.

"Yes Aro?"

I hopped off of Caius' lap after kissing him softly, much to his displeasure. I wandered down to the three of them.

"I need you to make a choice once again. What do we do with the three of them?"

I was shocked. Me? Make another decision if two members of my old coven and one of their mates were going to live or die by my hand. I looked at Marcus in a sheer panic, if I chose to kill them I would kill my soul brother's mate and that would destroy him. Thankfully Marcus stepped forward which made Caius relax slightly.

"She cannot be asked to make that choice brother. Alice is mated to her soul brother. You must make that choice. Only you."

Aro's face flashed with rage but I was the only one who caught it. I looked at Caius and as if he read my mind, he nodded and I was invisible in an instant. I took that as my chance to run to our quarters. I could not and would not witness or have part in that. I clutched my chest as an unneeded panic shot through me. Lord, I hoped it didn't end in a masacre down there.

(this is one of the few POV switches in the book and it's to Alice)

I knew this would be unfair and hard on Lydia but I thought I was doing the right thing. I never expected or saw what would transpire next.

"So that's the pathetic excuse of a soul sister Jasper was always on about? Wow, he got unlucky. Jesus."

All eyes were on Bella Swan as soon as the words were out of her mouth and my idiot brother did not do well to help.

"You're speaking my mind Bella, I told you about her, but now is not the ti..." 

Edward was on the ground in pain and I knew he'd just gone the extra mile that would end horribly. I saw the future unfold in front of me as I saw Aro's decision. I was heartbroken, but I knew it had to be done.

Before anything was done Marcus spoke.

"She is not your mate, she is your blood singer Edward."

Bella let out a cry of anguish before Felix was on top of her after she flew across the throne room and landed on her skull, creating a huge dent and sufficient blood to pour out. While that was happening Aro grabbed Edward's hand and read every single thought he had and when he pulled away he looked murderous. I didn't do anything because I knew better.

"Caius, it's better if you end him. He's had absolutely vile, evil thoughts towards Lydia. He wants to kill her."

Sooner than the words were out of his mouth Edward's head rolled and he was lit on fire. I knew I had to save Bella's life or risk war back home.

"WAIT! Aro, please let me show you something."

I croaked before the ending blow was bestowed to Bella. I reached my hand out to him and he took it, his eyes glazing over. When he was done he sighed dramatically and walked towards his throne.

"Very well, take Miss Swan's body back home, and give our condolences to our dear friend Carlisle."

I nodded, went over to her, grabbed her and ran out of the room as fast as I could, calling Carlisle for help on the way, luckily I had chartered a plane so I could just bring her on the plane and back to Forks no questions asked. 

I wouldn't see Lydia again for a long time after this.

God I didn't like what the near future held.