Fire vs Fire

I was absolutely livid. I thought I had a good connection with Aro and I thought I was on the right track to getting him to trust me and see me as his equal in the throne room. I was wrong. I saw an important trial was going to happen and he locked me in a fucking steel room. I screamed with as much rage as I could before I collapsed against a wall. Stupid trial meant that only the lower down guard was manning my room and I could only pray who it was. I peeked out the little window and growled angrily when I saw no one I knew well.

I dropped to the floor as I heard screams coming from the throne room and my resolve to stay the good quiet new queen I'd been told I should be broke. I went to the door and I wrapped my hands around the metal bars and focused all my rage and anger on them and soon enough they turned liquid again and I was able to slip my hand out and melt the door lock. I pushed the door open and instantly turned invisible before I ran upstairs to the throne room.

What I saw when I got there made my skin crawl. I stayed silent and invisible because I wanted to know what was happening. A man was kneeling in front of Aro and they were surrounded by piles of ash but I didn't bother looking at them.

"You Manuel are charged with the massacre of a small human town that brought on a lot of human attention. You brought your coven here with no respect for their lives and thus they all perished. And now, you as well shall perish with them. Felix hold him and..."

He trailed off turning to the door that I'd stupidly left open.

"Lydia, please take down your invisibility and come and help me with this trial."

He spoke with so much finality I knew I'd be in even more trouble if I denied him so I did as he asked and I walked over to him, my palm already flaming.

"Lydia, dear, if you will, Manuel here is waiting for his punishment."

He nodded at Felix and I and I lit his head on fire at the same time Felix ripped off his arms and threw them into the fires I had created. I looked at Aro and he looked eerily calm.

"No, dear one I am not angry at you if anything you just proved yourself even more. I expected you to come in blazing with rage but you surprised me. I figure with your capability of fire you melted the bolts off the door, quite impressive. Yet while all of that, I'd still like you to help clean up here. You know, sweeping up all of the ashes. Caius, Jasper, Jane, Alec, please follow me, there's much to be discussed. I'm sure young Lydia will join us soon."

He smiled patronisingly at me and it was for the first time I cursed being short. I was muttering under my breath as I sweeped up 3 bodies before I crashed to the ground. On the floor was the four leaf clover crest that I had a matching one of, and besides that I found the sapphire ring I'd always loved. I picked them both up, excusing my fall on my brain being elsewhere and continued my job as if nothing was wrong.

At that moment it did not occur to me that Marcus was still sitting in the room watching me until I looked up and made eye contact with him. He looked perplexed and once I put my cleaning materials away I flashed over to him.

"Did you know? Did you know that he killed Owen and Gwen! Did they all know! Is that why they all left! I could kill him!"

Marcus planted a solid, comforting hand on my shoulder. That made me take an unneeded breath.

"I was the voice of reason. You know I have wanted nothing but the best for you since you've been here in Volterra. I tried to talk Aro into letting Owen at the very least live, and I tried getting Caius on my side explaining the parental bond. But when Jasper mentioned what happened between the two of you, there was no stopping them. And as Jasper is your soul brother, he is held in very high regard with the twins so they did nothing to help. I couldn't get through and I knew you'd be crushed. They left me to talk to you. I truly am sorry Lydia. I know this holds little solace but the bond with us as soul father and soul daughter solidified."