Into Forever

Alice spent the next three months going over extraordinarily elaborate plans for everything, as much to my chagrin the day I was to be married to Caius was also to be the day of my coronation. A soft knock on the door to my room knocked me out of my thoughts. I walked over to the door and answered it only to see my father on the other side.

"Hi! What can I help you with Marcus?"

He hugged me and placed a soft kiss on the crown of my head before walking into the room and sitting down on the sofa, he motioned me to come sit down beside him, which I did without hesitation.

"There is a reason why I've come to speak to you today, my dear. I have been thinking about something for a long long time and I spoke to Aro about this as well before everything happened. I have disliked being king for a long time now and I have wanted to step down for ages. Now that Aro has passed away I have decided that I'm going to step down. Now, do not worry my child, I am staying here in the castle and will advise you and my brother on all things if needed. I simply do not want to rule over everyone. I will be announcing this tonight as I place the crown on your head. Darling girl, do not look so sad. You will be the best queen our kind has ever seen."

My heart sank. I thought I would be ruling alongside my dad and my mate, I respected and understood his wishes though so I smiled sadly.

"What if I'm a horrible queen? What if being the queen makes so many people hate me? What if I make Jane and Alec miserable? What if Caius hates me after all. I'm so scared, Dad."

I looked down sadly and closed my eyes only to be crushed to a rock hard metal chest. I realised what I'd called him and I latched on to him even harder. I looked up at him shyly.

"Lydia, do not ever be shocked or embarrassed of what you just said. I am so honoured that you called me that, it's the best gift anyone could have ever given me. And as for being a horrible queen, that's nonsense, you are the most fair, loyal, fearless and brave vampire I have ever known. Lydia, people are bound to hate you, I'm sorry but it's part of being a Volturi, we have enemies we don't even know about. Jane and Alec are your brother and sister, as annoyed as they may get by you they will never be miserable as long as you're in their lives. As for my brother, that man worships the very ground you walk on. He loves you more than you could ever know. It's okay to be scared, dear one, and it is okay to make mistakes. You'll have all of us by your side, protecting you for all time."

I nodded and hugged him tighter. He stood me up and walked me to the mirror in my room that for the morning I'd been terrified to look into. He cupped my chin and made me look up into the mirror.

"When I look in the mirror I see my beautiful daughter. Someone who cares more about her siblings and those she loves more than she does herself. I see the best person I could think of to be the queen of Volturi. I love you Lydia."

I looked at him with crystal tears before hugging him tightly. We only pulled apart when a knock at the door and I smiled widely when I saw my three siblings.

"Hello children, I will leave you all to talk. Lydia I'll be waiting to walk you down the aisle."

We all smiled softly as our father walked out of the room. I smirked at Jasper who looked proud.

"What's got you looking so proud Cowboy? Hmm"

Jasper laughed at me as the twins sat down on my bed watching their older siblings interact with big smiles on their faces.

"Just my sister and best friend looking so happy and beautiful. Dia, I am so so proud of you and everything you've been able to overcome. We each have a little gift for you, something so that you can walk down the road of life with a piece of each of us by your side forever. Here."

He held out his hand and in it was a little box which I took shyly. I gasped as I looked up at him. I didn't understand how this was possible.