Part 7

"I don't believe Farjaad chose this girl to be his wife. He could've done so much better"

"I know. I heard she's an undergrad student and is from a pretty middle class background"

"Niggo, Why didn't you choose Reena instead? She would've been such a better match with Farjaad"

"Oh I wish! You have no idea how hard I tried but Farjaad was adamant on Umeed." Niggo sighed, clearly not happy with the alliance.

What they didn't notice was Umeed standing a few feet away along with Mimi, their words falling in her ears like a burning oil, piercing her heart. She was never a person who would just listen to crap about herself and not give a badass reply. But this was Farjaad's circle and she didn't want to create any more problems than she already had.

She was already aware of the fact that she was the black sheep in their relationship and it was just Farjaad's love and adoration for her that Niggo had half-heartedly agreed. But hearing that again and again was not pleasant to ears, instead it kept hurting her and now she had come to believe it was true.

Mimi, who had seen tears in Umeed's eyes couldn't take it anymore. Taking her hand, she led her to the gossiping trio with a fake smile on her face.

"Arre Aunty aap ko Reena itni pasand hai tou aap usse apne ghar ki bahu kyun nahi bana leti?"

The lady gaped at her, the other one snickered while Niggo was shocked to see Mimi speaking in this way.

"Kyunki humein tou Umeed hi pasand hai" Mimi said, circling her arms around her best friend while Umeed smiled through her tears.

"Kyun mom?" Mimi raised her eyebrows at Niggo who fake smiled at her guests and agreed with her daughter.

"Thank you" Umeed whispered in Mimi's ears, hugging her hard, thanking her stars for her best friend.

Umeed opened her eyes as she slipped back into reality. She was back in her room, sitting on her bed, relieving the moment that made her

There were multiple times in the past 2 years when her heart wished to call her best friend, to pour her heart out and listen to her rant but she controlled herself. She knew how she was doing because she was in touch with Haya but she missed talking to her best friend. But learning that she was expecting was huge and her heart was bursting with happiness. Moreover, ever since Farjaad had re entered her life, she had started feeling emotional once again, just like old times.

Whatever. She'll keep the regrets for tomorrow. Today, she just wanted to talk to her best friend.

With shaking hands, she finally mustered up courage and called her. Keeping the phone to her ear, she heard as it kept ringing. With every ring, Umeed's heart picked up pace.

"Hello"

She didn't say anything.

"Hello"

Mimi's sleepy voice was an indication that she had woken up from a deep slumber. Umeed smacked her head as she looked at the time.

Mein idiot hi rahungi

"Kon bol raha hai bhaie?" Mimi's annoyed voice made her smile.

"Mein...Umeed"

It was a reflex. Biting her tongue, she smacked her head again and sighed.

"Um-Umeed??"

The disbelief in Mimi's voice brought moisture to Umeed's eyes. They didn't speak up for a while, sniffling softly on each side.

"Itne arse baad yaad kaise aa gayi dost ki?" Mimi's eyes were full of tears, it was a mixture of happiness and gloominess.

"Suna hai ammi banne wali ho, issi liye socha mubarakbad de dun. Mujhe tou ab tak yaqeen nahi aa raha" She replied, her eyes full of tears as well.

"Tumhe kaise pata?" She asked.

"Tumhara bhai aya hua hai Islamabad" was Umeed's reply while wiping her tears.

"Yes I knw...What? You met bhai?? And you're in Islamabad?"

Mimi was fully alert now. Her bhai and her best friend were finally together, atleast in the same place. She couldn't believe time had brought them back exactly where they started from.

Umeed explained her everything about how and when she had to move, about her new job and how she met her brother amongst everything. It was like 2 best friends catching up after years of disconnect, nothing felt out of place.

"Waise, I'm glad you met him. Woh tumhe bohot yaad karte hain" Mimi spoke up.

"Mimi..."

"I just feel so bad. Socha tha tumse jab bhi baat hogi tou shikayat karungi ke tum aise sab chor ke chali gayi. But I can't even complain, kyunki tumhe uss situation mein daalne wali bhi tou mein hi thi"

"Mimi. Aisa kuch nahi tha. You know it wasn't a single reason...multiple reasons thay. Plus, mere aur Farjaad ke apas ke differences thay, usmein tumhari kia galti" Umeed tried to explain her.

"Han but mine was the final nail in the coffin right? Don't lie to me, I know"

"Nahi Mimi. Its not like that. Aisa mat socho, please. Jo hota hai achay ke liye hota hai"

"Acha tab hota jab tum aur bhai saath hote"

"That's not possible"

"Lekin..."

"Mimi, please..." Umeed's tired voice made her stop.

"Meine apni dost se baat karne ke liye call ki hai" She said, indicating she doesn't want to talk about the past or Farjaad.

"Ok fine. Theek hai phir tum batao, tumne pehle phone kyun nai kia?" Mimi complained, making Umeed laugh. She could deal with this.

The rest of the night was spent chatting, just 2 best friends catching up on each other's lives.

Umeed had let her walls down for tonight, just because she missed her best friend too much.

Just for tonight.

***

Farjaad entered the house panting, dressed in his tracksuit, sweating after an early morning jog. After having almost no sleep last night, he needed it to clear his head.

Last night after Umeed left, he kept sitting on the terrace for almost the entire night, lost in thoughts. He kept thinking what he could've done differently to not worsen things to the extent of her leaving him. Maybe he didn't try hard enough or maybe he tried too hard to save something that was inevitable.

All kinds of thoughts roamed in his head till he realized dawn had broken. So to clear his head, he went for a run.

Walking inside, he saw Salma in the kitchen, preparing breakfast. Greeting her with a salam, he entered the kitchen as she gave him a wide smile and warm hug.

"Go freshen up, bachay. Breakfast is almost ready. Mein jaa ke Aziz sahab ko hosh dilati hun" Saying so, she moved out as he chuckled and ran upstairs.

Halfway through, he bumped into Umeed who was rushing downstairs. They stopped in front of each other, her a step higher than him. Their eyes met and last night flashed in front of their eyes before she looked away.

She was avoiding him.

As expected.

***

As promised, this week's update is here. Please leave your love!💕