Part 19

Farjaad drove the car like a mad man, not caring about anything, barely registering the cars honking and drivers cursing at him as he sped by, neither caring about the red signals he broke on the way. Thankfully, the traffic at this hour of the night was minimal so he was lucky enough not to get in an accident himself.

He remembered the last time he drove this crazily. It was when he heard Umeed was in the hospital. Oddly enough, the reason this time being Umeed herself as well.

This girl would make him die of a heart attack one day.

His heart had stopped beating for a second when he heard that Umeed was at the center, alone and in danger. How did she manage to land herself in this situation? How does everytime she manages to make his heart stop, the reason being different everytime?

His mind was blank, not wanting to think of any dire consequences of the situation that could go worse second by second.

"Allah, meri Umeed ko apni hifaazat mein rakhna..." He kept praying for her safety, while speeding up.

It seemed like the distance to the center was never ending, even though it usually took them 20 minutes daily. Farjaad wanted to scream in frustratiom but held himself, knowing that would be useless.

Their last conversation played in his head, where he had cursed her that she'd be left alone.

Tumhe akele rehna hai na? Ab tum akeli hi rahogi

Did the curse actually came back to bite him only? He cursed her to be left alone but if something happens to her today, he will be the one who is going to be alone forever.

Pushing the accelerator to it's maximum, he bit his lip to stop the tears from spilling, honking crazily to anyone who came his way.

Nothing would happen to her.

He won't let it.

After what seemed like forever, he turned into the lane of the center, the car screeching to a halt as he could see the dark smoke emitting behind the high yielding boundary wall, his eyes widening as he tried to percieve the gravity of the damage. Which meant Umeed was trapped inside a center that was about to see its doom.

His eyes fell on the side, spotting Umeed's car parked safely. His heart beating rapidly, he rushed out of the hastily parked car with the door left open, as he ran as fast as his legs could take him, the sound of sirens and screams of people increasing as he reached closer.

Reaching inside, he saw the crowd of people, most of which were their workers he could barely recognize and a couple of guards and security men. The fire brigade was already here, working through the crowd.

But Umeed was nowhere.

His eyes scanned the entire crowd that was present there, knowing if she was here he would've spotted her in an instant but she wasn't. He ran as fast as his legs took him, tearing through the crowd, pushing everyone who came his way, rushing to get inside but was stopped by the person heading the fire team.

"Sir! You are not allowed inside!" He ordered, pulling him back but Farjaad wasn't having any of it. Jerking off the man's arm, he struggled as another guard held him.

"She's inside! You have to get her out! UMEED!" He shouted as if she will hear him.

In his disheveled state, no one would be able to say that he was Farjaad Khan Bahadur, the strict and composed businessman, who could intimidate anyone.

"There is no one inside, we've checked everywhere!" The man on duty tried to reason with him but Farjaad was desperately transgressive, not in the mood to listen to anyone.