Part 15

Pasha house was envleloped in an eerie silence as Kamal Pasha walked down the stairs. It had become a norm for them. Everybody was busy in there respective jobs, nobody had time for anything other than that, neither did they have a heart to anymore.

Pasha sahab sighed as he sat down on the couch in middle of the hall, pulling out the daily newspaper to read. It was just the way he always wanted.

Calm. Disciplined. Silenced.

And yet he wasn't satisfied, as if his heart was restless and he clearly knew the reason but had decided not to face or accept it.

Zeenat entered the hall with a cup of tea in her hands and handed it to Pasha Sahab.

"Baaki sab kahan hain?" He asked, while taking the cup of tea.

"Aghu jaan kamre mein hain. Haya college gayi hai aur Sameer office gaya hai" she replied, in a hurry to get back to kitchen. Before Pasha Sahab could ask anything further, she rushed inside.

It had been a while since he saw Sameer as well. He would barely be present at home, he had recently taken up a job with his classes and won't demand any money from his father, trying to take up on his own. As much as a proud father he was, he missed his son, no matter how careless he was.

"Pasha Sahab?"

He was brought of his thoughts by his brother who stood in front of him, with a couple of bills in his hand. Taking the bundle from his hand he went through it as they discussed the finances for a whilw.

"Hilal Pasha?" Pasha Sahab stopped him as he was about to leave.

"Sab theek hai?" He asked him, a question hidden under his question.

"Haya ki Umeed se baat hui thi. Woh theek hai, aap pareshan na hoyein" He replied, knowing exactly what his elder brother was trying to ask.

Pasha Sahab nodded, satisfied after getting his answer, not saying anything more neither did his expressions flinch as he continued to sip his tea.

"Pasha Sahab, ek baat poochun?"

"Jaldi bolo, bohot kaam hai mujhe" he replied indifferently.

"Aap hamesha Umeed ke baare mein poochte hain. Khud baat kyun nahi karte? Usse wapas aane ke liye kyun nahi kehte?"

Pasha Sahab sighed heavily, taking a while before answering "Woh apni marzi se gayi thi..."

"Magar aap usse bula sakte hain, aur aap yeh baat jaante hain. Aap jitni bhi koshish kar lein, mujh se yeh baat nahi chupa sakte ke aap usse kitna yaad karte hain"

Kamal Pasha pulled his glasses off, not wanting to have any more conversation on this topic.

"Accha mujhe iss baare mein koi baat nahi karni. Kaam karne do mujhe..."

He dismissed his brother who looked at him and sighed, before walking away.

Pasha Sahab took a deep breath, picking up a photoframe placed beside him on the table, his eyes falling on the person whose smile was the brightest, with eyes sparkling with what exactly she was named after.

Umeed.

Arzu wanted to name her Umeed. The moment she saw her and held her at adoption agency, she knew this baby was her hope.

It had been 5 years since they were married and Arzu had troubles conceiving, especially when she badly wanted a child. On her insistence, they signed up for adoption because Kamal Pasha wanted to give her whatever she desired. She fell in love deeply with the baby, who was barely 3 days old, when she was given the little bundle of joy.