Part 17

"Have you been sitting here the entire night? You look drained!"

The lovely, plump nurse asked Farjaad in the wee hours of dawn, once she entered the room and saw him in the exact same position she left him the last night.

Farjaad yawned and nodded, realizing that she was being way too kind with her words when he saw his reflection in the window.

He looked like a zombie.

He spent the entire night sitting beside Umeed, watching her. He didn't even realize when the night fell and sun rose, not wanting to miss her waking up.

"Go freshen yourself up, have coffee or something while I change her dressing"

She asked, pulling out the dressing kit. Farjaad nodded and walked out of the room, throwing a last glance at Umeed, before closing the door.

Freshening up, he felt a little better but didn't feel like he could stomach something, so he just gulped down a bottle of water, quickly walking back to Umeed's room through the deserted corridor when he noticed a figure sleeping on the benches.

"Pasha sahab?" He murmured in confusion, slowly walking upto him. Reaching closer, he realized it was indeed Pasha Sahab sitting on the bench, with head rested backwards and eyes closed.

Farjaad was surprised he didn't notice him while leaving. But by the looks of it, he didn't just arrive there.

Was he here the whole night?

He gently kept a hand on his shoulder and nudged him, making him wake up with a startle.

"Pasha Sahab, aap yahan aise kyun bethe hain?"

Pasha sahab rubbed his face and stood up, looking lost.

"Woh..mein, bas...abhi aaya tha" he cleared his throat and spoke while looking away, but Farjaad could see through his lies.

"Uhh...Umeed kaisi hai?" He asked, with a glint of shame in his eyes, as if almost afraid to ask.

"Behtar hai. Doctor se baat hui thi, she'll wake up any time now In Sha Allah. Aur situation behtar rahi tou discharge bhi jaldi ho jaegi..."

He could see the relief on Pasha Sahab's face as he thanked the Lord.

"Aap andar aa jayein..." Farjaad offered but he refused immediately.

"Nahi..mein, mujhe kaam hai. Mein tou bas guzar raha tha yahan se tou socha pooch lun"

Farjaad was confused. Something was definitely off. He could see Pasha Sahab was worried out of his wits but couldn't look him in the eye while asking about Umeed.

"Mein chalta hun. Umeed se mat kehna ke mein aya tha" he softly requested, confusing the young man further but before he could ask anything or stop him, he already left.

For a while, he stood there, contemplating the short conversation between him and his would-be father in law. Well, if Umeed allows.

Before he could try and make any more sense of Pasha Sahab's weird behaviour, the nurse came rushing out of the room, telling him that Umeed had woken up. Forgetting everything else, he rushed inside to see her lying on the bed with eyes barely open, widening a bit as she saw him entering.

"Hey"

Farjaad could barely hold his tears as he could feel a weight lift from his chest, seeing her fine and well.