Part 18

"Jawaab do, Umeed!"

Farjaad demanded, his grip firm on her arms, holding her in place.

"Kis baat ka gussa hai? Kyun mujh se aise munh pher leti ho ho tum? Kis baat ki saza de rahi ho mujhe? Tumhe nahi yaad shayad. Lekin mujhe sab yaad hai, ek ek lafz yaad hai. Jab meine tumhe roka tha, tum nahi ruki. Jab mein tumhe wapas lene aya tha tum nahi aayi. Woh sab tumhari marzi thi! Tou phir yeh berukhi kyun?! Aaj tumhe mere har sawaal ka jawaab dena parega!"

He kept firing questions while she remained quiet, her gaze away from his. But Farjaad wasn't having any of it, he wanted answers and he wanted them right now.

"Bolo Umeed!" He provoked her, making her flip and give him an angry stare. They were now looking right into each others' eyes, breathing heavily, barely inches apart.

"Mein aapko jawaab dene ki paband nahi hun" She said, with blazing eyes and before he could say anything else, she added to her statement.

"Aur aap mujhe force nahi kar sakte!"

Her tone was assertive and eyes sharp, boring into his. But it was the word she used that left him bewildered, so much that his firm grip on her arm loosened.

"F-force?" He could barely pronouce the word, still taken aback by her brash statement.

"Tumhe lagta hai mein tumhe force karunga?" The vulnerability in his eyes was heartbreaking and Umeed could barely keep up a straight face. Not realizing it could hurt him so much, she was now regretting her choice of words.

He kept looking at her, trying to grasp everything, not able to believe that Umeed could even think about him forcing her.

"You know what, Umeed? Whenever I think that this new version of you won't surprise me any more, it does! And in the worst way possible!"

He was exasperated as he finally let go of her completely, turning away from her to heave a sigh. Umeed saw him rubbing his eyes and letting out a deep breath, her own heart shattered to see him like this, but her face was expressionless.

"Aur kitna aazmao gi tum mujhe, Umeed?"

His tone clearly depicted that he was drained and worn out, with only a matter of time that the last thread of patience that he was holding eventually breaks.

'Mein tumhe samajh nahi paa raha hun, yaar. Bohot koshish kar raha hun, phir bhi..."

He never felt so helpless before, it was as if whatever he was trying was just futile. Umeed could see that he was tired of fighting and keeping up with her and she had to fist both her hands to stop herself from wrapping her arms around his exhausted frame.

"Tou aap se kisne kaha hai ke mujhe samjhein?" She backfired, gulping down her emotions.

"Haan, jab samajhna chahiye tha, tab tou samjha nahi aapne. Yehi bologi na?"

He raised his eyebrows, reffering to their fight which led to her breaking the engagement. He knew what she would say and he was well aware of his own mistakes as well as her ability to bring it up everytime.

"Galat tou kuch nahi kahogi..." He sighed, defending her statement spoken by him.

"Tumhe samajhne mein ek dafa galti ho gayi thi mujhse. Shayad iss galti ki saza saari zindagi milegi mujhe..." He sighed, looking up as if accepting it as his fate.

"Dekhein, beetein baatein dohra ke koi faida nahi hai. Jo ho gaya, so ho gaya. Baat khatam" She spoke in a placating tone.

"Baat khatam? Baat khatam tou kabhi hui hi nahi Ms. Umeed Pasha. Baat tab khatam hoti jab mera dil maanta ke tum wapas nahi aaogi. Lekin meine issi aas mein yeh 2 saal guzaare hain ke tum laut aaogi, kyunki tumne aisa kaha tha...aur meine yaqeen kiya tha tumpe"