Part 12

Farjaad came out of the washroom, wiping his face with a towel. Placing it on the chair, he ran a hand through his wet hair hissing at the pain that shot through his palm. Ignoring it, he sat down on the bed and took out his laptop, preparing to get some work done when his eyes fell on hs bedside.

An ointment and a bandage was placed beside the lamp. Something that wasn't their earlier.

Umeed.

It was written all over it and Farjaad knew it like the back of his hand. Picking it up, he stared at it and let out a sigh.

Kia chaahti ho tum, Umeed?

He had avoided talking to her directly throughout the day, not wanting to offend her any further than she was in the afternoon. His palm was paining but not more than his heart which was breaking bit by bit at her indifference.

He was used to the loving Umeed, the one that brightened his life, the one that made him smile. This Umeed was just a shell of who she used to be. This Umeed had become another version of Farjaad Khan Bahadur, before he met Umeed. And it was hurting him.

He was used to Umeed's love and care. The way she would jump up at anything that threatened to hurt him at the least, going all possessive over him and showering him with affection. But her words today cut through him and he could barely recognize the Umeed who stood in front of him today.

But he did catch a glimpse of his Umeed though. When she threw everything at his painful groan and held his hand like it was second nature to her, leaving him astonished and then bitter.

She refuses to acknowledge their past relationship and tells him he means nothing to her and then shows concern over his injury. Her hot and cold behaviour was confusing and it increases all the more when she refuses to talk about anything.

Kyun mein tumhe samajh nahi paa raha hun, Umeed.

***

"What?"

Haya screamed through the phone as Umeed rolled her eyes while lying on the bed, not saying anything.

"Did you actually say all this to him?" Haya asked, trying to catch up with the turn of events.

"Haan yaar, bataya tou hai sab kuch" Umeed sighed.

"Umeed tumhara dimagh kharab ho gaya hai kia?" Haya scolded her.

"Kia karti mein? He was testing my patience" Umeed immedaitely sat up and defended herself.

"Bas kar do, Umeed. Tumne bhi kam patience test nahi kia hai becharay ka. Lekin kia unhone kabhi aisi baat ki hai tumse?" She questioned, knowing saying all this to Farjaad would now be taking a toll over her as well.

"Haya meine tumhe issi liye nahi bataya ke tum mujhe hi sunane lago" Umeed rolled her eyes.

"Nahi tou kia tum mujhse koi award expect kar rahi thi?" She sassed, making her huff in anger now.

"Bohot hi badtameez ho tum" Haya stated, shaking her head.

"Haan. Saari burai mujh mein hai. Mein kahan kissi ko khush kar paayi hun" She spoke in a small voice. Haya sighed hearing her, knowing no matter what she says, she won't be able to change her mind. Those words were engraved in her mind.

"Kia kar rahi ho Umeed?" Haya asked in a softer tone, worry and concern oozing out of her voice.

"Mujhe nahi pata, Haya" She replied truthfully.

"Zidd chorr do na, ghar wapas aa jao. Sab sahi ho jaye ga" She understood Umeed's dilemma but felt so helpless that she was unable to do anything for her sister.