ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1

"For the end of the semester, I will be giving everyone an individual assignment that will be due within in two weeks time." Professor Trupike spoke with firmness in his voice. The class was a decent size, around 24 rows that seated about 30 students each, so the way he spoke so loudly was understandable.

"You will be given a specific topic or place to investigate that is of the religious aspect. I need a 5 page document of your discoveries and notes," the Professor looked amongst his students' faces,"Before you leave class, make sure to check the roster for what you are assigned."

April sat at her desk, as prim and proper as she was everyday. Her dark brown hair tucked behind her ear which adorned simple pearl earrings, and her clothes matching that of one's' sunday best. Around her, everyone who filled the seats packed their supplies and then left for the bulletin board to look for their assignment.

Shuffling of shoes and chatter between fellow students filled the classroom until only April and a few others were left. The girl had checked the roster and a smile grazed her lips when she saw that she would be investigating a church. It faltered when she realized it was the church on the farside of town that had been abandoned for centuries. Assumed to be a church for devil worshippers. As soon as she came to this realization she turned back around and walked down the aisle towards the teachers desk.

"Yes, Miss April?" The professor asked, looking up from his clipboard when he noticed the girl.
"I would like a new assignment." She requested it simply, not thinking of it as complicated.
"April, I cannot just change the assignment." The older gentleman sighed.
"Is there an alternative assignment?" She grew a bit desperate, trying to avoid that god forsaken place.
"No, there is not. It is either this, or failure. It is the final exam for the end of the year. Your grade won't be able to take it," Trupike paused and adjusted his glasses,"That is the end of this conversation, Miss April."

With that she took a few seconds to fully comprehend what she was faced with, wanting to argue back with the old man, but she thought better of it and walked away. As she headed out of the doors and down the hallways of her university, she bit at her perfectly cared for nails. Chipping away the nail polish while she thought about her task at hand.

The positive about doing this assignment is that she would be faced with the religion she was the most intrigued by, the negative is that she would be faced with the religion she was taught to steer clear from. April unlocked her dorm room and walked in, glancing at the crosses hung on the walls.

Setting her bag down by her desk, she was lucky enough to get a room just for herself, given that her parents did pay to make it that way. The University gave no promise to not have a male roommate so they had to fix that real quick. Now they could live worry free that their baby girl would stay pure until marriage.

Picking up her suitcase from under her bed, April took a deep breath. "How bad could it be? It's abandoned, only the haunting past of possible animal sacrifices," she paused and sighed,"maybe human ones too." To distract herself, she turned on her playlist labeled 'favorites' and hummed along to the intro to a Harry Styles song.

Sorting through her closet, she picked out a few outfits that would last her the entirety of two weeks. Neatly folding them into her bag, she placed her rosemary and bible on top along with other essentials she may need like a make-up bag or chargers for her laptop.

In the security of her dorm, she danced around as she filled her suitcase to the room, stopping only when she heard her phone buzzing on her desk. Stopping her music, April propped the phone up so that FaceTime would show all of her room so she could continue to roam. Before the call could go to voicemail she answered and was met with her mothers usual happy face.