ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 17

April was physically unallowed to leave the house, which means she never left her room. Her pink room filled with a fake life and no actual meaning to her apart from the stuffed animals that laid on her bed beside her.

   Three days had passed since being locked away, meaning it was now Sunday and she was going to be doused in a life of regret. A life that meant nothing to her anymore. If she were to escape, would she truly or would they just follow?

   It was eight in the morning and she could hear her parents getting ready in the other room. Her heart felt heavy and scrolling through her phone made her realize that she didn't really like it anymore. Later on that night April knew that the group would be performing a 'Ritual' of some sorts as their band. Honestly she wanted to go, April wanted to leave her house and she was thinking of bringing Roxie with her.  

   The next 10 minutes went by fast, her mom came into her room and tossed her a frilly dress, telling her to get ready since they would be leaving in five minutes. So she got dressed and put a little bit of mascara on before throwing on some pumps to walk out the door. April didn't want to even look in her parents' way, no matter how edgy it seemed, she didn't want to look at their 'innocent' faces. Getting in the backseat with her sister, she put her phone in her lap and kept her gaze out the window. "Darling you can be as mad as you want at us but we only want the best for you." Lorainne spoke up from the passenger seat, looking back at her daughter who looked as Christian as ever. "Where is your cross?" Her mom asked, trying to mask the irritation. "Oh.. I took it off after taking a shower. I forgot to put it back on." The lie rolled off of April's tongue smoothly, her Mother sighing at the girl before focusing on the road ahead.

   April spent the rest of the car ride thinking about how she would plan her great escape, more importantly, how she would get Roxanne to escape with her.

Here was the plan:
April would ask to go to the bathroom, she is positive that her mom wouldn't let her go alone so she suggests Roxanne to take her. Then that's when she discusses the plan to leave. To escape their overbearing parents. Foolproof. (Not really but she gaslit herself into thinking that.)

So now, they got out of the car and headed into the church of god, filled with older men and women who all seemed to have some sort of candy to give out from their pocket. If not, they had a million questions prepared for small talk. No matter if she were Christian or not, April never enjoyed small talk.

   "Hey Mom..? I need to go to the bathroom. Do you mind?" April asked politely. Her Mom shot her a look of disapproval,"Of course I mind, how can I trust you when you spent a week living with satanists." Lorainne frowned, pulling her daughter along. "Please, Mother! I have to go pee. Have Roxanne go with me or something.." she pleaded, doing a fake little potty dance.

   Lorainne looked at her daughter, scoffing softly before letting go of her hand,"Roxanne take your sister to the bathroom." The younger girl looked a little taken aback that she was given the trust to watch over her older sister. It seemed too easy to April.

The two girls then walked together hand in hand towards the bathroom as their parents went and found a seat. As they entered the little girl's room April stopped and took both of Roxanne's hands in hers. "Roxie please, listen to me." She started as her sister looked up at her with a hint of unease. "I need to get out of here.. I can't stay here, not after having found that life can be so much better. So much more free." She spoke fast and somewhat quietly. "But.. it won't be like this forever, just wait until you move out.." she suggested. April shook her head and squeezed her sister's hands tightly. "Rox, do you really think it'll stop there? That when you finally do move out they're going to come over and not constantly judge each of your decisions?" She asked, glancing at her watch then at the door.