26. Attack on the Mind

After everyone's dates they met back up in the common room. Pansy sighed as she sat down on the couch next to Natalia. "You'll never guess what we saw today!"

"What?" Natalia laughed, looking over at her.

"Potter and Chang had a date and she started crying because he wouldn't talk about her dead boyfriend," Daphne said as she plopped on the couch, making Pansy groan.

"I wanted to tell it!"

"Wait, Cho got mad because he didn't want to talk about witnessing one of the most traumatic things in his life?" Natalia asked them and Theo nodded.

"Oh, yeah, huge scene, people stopped snogging to watch," Said Theo. Natalia looked at them confused.

"Snogging? Oh, shit yeah, making out," she had to recall. She hadn't heard someone call it that since her sister. "Damn, I feel bad."

Draco scoffed, putting an arm behind her, "Why should you, it's Potter," he said with absolute disgust. Natalia rolled her eyes.

"May I remind you, he's still a person. Just like you or maybe not, you're more ferret."

The other four glanced at each other, ready for a fight to ensure. "You know, you two might be good for each other, maybe then Natalia can set you straight when you say stuff you shouldn't," Pansy smirked at Draco. He rolled his eyes and glared at her.

"Next year, I get Nat!" Theo quickly called, making Draco and Daphne groan.

Blaise scoffed, "we're cousins, I'm good."

That night after everyone had left for bed. Natalia sat on the floor of their dorm room. She had done the same thing every night since the start of their occlumency lessons. She took a page from Leanne's book– somewhat literally– and meditated. They did it when they were doing a seance, the way that Hecate children talked with the dead. It helped her push back her emotions and protect herself.

Apparently, most Hecate children did it every night to control their powers. While they worked with their emotions it was much easier to do protection spells or more complicated stuff with a clear mind. In their world, emotions came second to magic.

She let her mind wander to different moments before she let them slowly dissipate. Shadows slowly surrounded her and lifted her off the ground, reminding her of when Lou and Lee did the same thing.

She took a deep breath and her wand shot off her bed and flew to her. She raised her hand and caught it. She let go of it and it floated in front of her. "I'm surprised," someone said, almost startling her. She opened her eyes and no one was there. She blinked again and a ghost appeared in front of her.

It was her mother.

"I didn't think any of my children were going to learn my kind of magic," she smiled at her daughter. "I thought they would stay with their father's."

"Mom?" Natalia cried with a smile on her face.

"Hello my little girl," Maria told her. Natalia didn't even realize they were speaking in Italian. It just came so naturally with her mother. Her mother looked the same as the day she died. With her olive skin that used to match her children's before Labyrinth. Her black hair was in the same style and her eyes held the same warmth and love they always did.

"Are you okay?"

Maria nodded, "I've talked with Hades and Perphsone. They tell me about you three every once in a while. I thought you were still trapped in the casino?"

Natalia laughed with tears running down her face, "It's a long story, a lot of time travel."

Maria smiled at her as she placed a hand on her daughter's face, making her cry even more, "Persophne will have to tell me, I can't stay. I wish you luck, I love you so so so much, I promise my little bird."