32. Start of Exams

Time was passing by slower for Natalia than it was for some others. They had quidditch that they could busy themselves with. The last game was about two weeks ago and everyone was losing their minds over it.

In the end, Gryffindor came out victorious to Ravenclaw and won the Quidditch cup.

Now, all that was left was end of year exams and for Fifth years that meant Owls. Their teachers were no longer setting them homework; lessons were devoted to reviewing those topics their teachers thought most likely to come up in the exams.

It was one of the worst things Natalia had ever experienced. She hadn't gone to regular school since 1942 Italy during the Second World War, which couldn't really be counted as regular, so she had never experienced standardized testing, nor did she want to.

They received their examination schedules and details of the procedure for O.W.L.s during one of their Transfiguration lessons.

"As you can see," Professor McGonagall told the class while they copied down the dates and times of their exams from the blackboard,"your O.W.L.s are spread over two successive weeks. You will sit the theory exams in the mornings and the practice in the afternoons. Your practical Astronomy examination will, of course, take place at night."

"Okay, but what if I didn't show up?" Natalia asked Pansy who just shook her head with a small giggle.

"Now, I must warn you that the most stringent Anti-Cheating Charms have been applied to your examination papers. Auto-AnswerQuills are banned from the examination hall, as are Remembralls, Detachable Cribbing Cuffs, and Self-Correcting Ink. Every year, I am afraid to say, seems to harbor at least one student who thinks that he or she can get around the Wizarding Examinations Authority's rules. I can only hope that it is nobody in Gryffindor. Our new — head- mistress" — Professor McGonagall pronounced the word with the same look on her face that Diyanisus had when he had to do his job "has asked the Heads of House to tell their students that cheating will be punished most severely — because, of course, your examination results will reflect upon the headmistress's new regime at the school. . . ."Professor McGonagall gave a tiny sigh. "However, that is no reason not to do your very best. You have your own futures to think about."

"Please, Professor," said Hermione, her hand in the air, "when will we find out our results?"

"An owl will be sent to you some time in July," said Professor McGonagall.

"Excellent," said Dean Thomas in an audible whisper, "so we don't have to worry about it till the holidays. . . ."

Their first exam, Theory of Charms, was scheduled for Monday morning, but Natalia couldn't find it in herself to study with everyone else.

During dinner, Theo was still studying his ass off. "So what are you going to do then?" Theo asked her as they were all surrounded by several textbooks.

She shrugged, "I don't know, wing it."

At this, Theo looked like he was about to have a stroke, "Oh, yeah, don't mention not studying around Theo," Daphne laughed as he tried to collect himself.

"Think about your future!" Theo insisted, looking at Blaise for help, but when he didn't get any he looked at Draco. They were both exhausted from having studied most of the day.

"What, my death?" Natalia asked with a laugh. "I'll study when I'm in hell." Theo gave her a dry laugh and looked back to his book, creating flashcards.

Through the

doors to the Great Hall they could see Umbridge standing with a

small group of ancient-looking witches and wizards. Umbridge looked rather nervous. "Well, that's interesting," Natalia smirked and the rest of the group looked over to the doors of the great hall.