Chapter 6 - A proper Meal

Me as a bearer?

Me as a bearer?

He just made it sound so fancy, but he just wants me to be his slave.

But why? Why do I have no luck?

It was exasperating. Refusing the King was not an option for her, and the pressure weighed heavily on her shoulders. Any misstep in her words could lead to dire consequences.

She noticed how even the servants behind Alexandria and the strern butler stared at her with contempt after she laughed. But the cold reaction of the Lord stood out the most. His eyes flared with murderous intent more than Alexandria's did.

She sighed. Even without these two or the people around her, it is the King she must be wary of. The King may appear less threatening with his calm and friendly demeanor, but behind that facade, he is the most dangerous person in this room. She can feel how frighteningly powerful he is.

But I had been through a lot worse, hadn't I? I was shackled and stripped naked. I crawled and was bitten almost to the verge of death. I slept and ate dirt.

She lives a very painful life where death is freedom. But she has a strange faith where death refuses her while suffering lingers all the time.

Every time she is on the verge of dying, something or someone, no matter how unreasonable it was, will save her. This is how she survived for the longest time.

Maybe she had done something terrible in her past life. That is why death doesn't come so easily to her, but she was cursed to live such a miserable life.

For now, she doesn't have any choice but to accept the king's offer. If she refuses, she will only suffer.

"I—I will accept your offer, your majesty." She answered, head down and with a trembling voice.

Lord Luke frowned. This is really annoying. It is the first time he has seen someone respond like that in his majesty's favor. Is this woman is—so dumb or arrogant?

Even Alexandria has mixed emotions. Hidden from the table, she clenched her hands into a fist. It was almost more than a thousand years after the fall of ten Stygians that no one had received a direct favor from his majesty to be a Bearer. Everyone undergoes a selection.

Only to this human from a lesser race...

Why? Why would the King give his favor to a lowly human?

"I am delighted you accept my offer." The King said while staring at her with amusement. "Then shall we eat?"

Lord Luke gave a meaningful smirk. He was aware that his majesty is not so generous, let alone to show such kindness and give such great privilege.

But The king is obviously taking a liking to this mortal...

The servant came with a trolley. Rassii smelled something so wonderful that she couldn't wait to taste it. Her stomach sprang to life and groaned.

It was totally embarrassing. Her face reddened to the point where she almost looked like a roasted beet. Since she came to this room, she has been holding herself and not looking at or smelling the food laid out on the table.

Slaves are not permitted to smell, stare at, or touch the food that was cooked and served for their master. They are not allowed to ask for food; otherwise, they will be severely beaten.

This is how they were tamed, and so she always keeps it in mind.

The pressure, awkwardness, and frustration she felt from the earlier conversation had helped her to stay away from thinking about food, especially since the room was filled with delicious aromas.

But when they served some kind of Pumpkin velouté soup in front of her, she couldn't stop, and after steeling herself, it just melted away just like that. Because the food really smells so good.

"Please eat." The king said with a flattering smile.

I am really allowed to eat? Or has the king just given her a test?

But everyone is eating...

She bit her lips. If it is a test, then if she takes the spoon, she could get a hard beating after.

Ms. Alexandria dubbed her lips with a napkin. "Maybe you don't like the soup?"

Rassii was stunned by her question. "N—no..."

"Then what is it?" Lord Luke gave her a cold stare.

She flinched. "Huh?"

"Don't worry, there is no poison in it."

Her face flushed again. Her stomach betrayed her once more, and it continued to grumble. "I'm sorry..."

"You worry too much. Just enjoy the dinner."

She can't remember when she had a proper meal. She only dreams of eating some fresh food like pigs and other animals do.

She picked up the spoon. Staring at the soup with its striking bright color and its appetizing scent makes her mouth water.

She began digging into her soup. Her eyes widen as the flavor explodes in her mouth and swiftly dives into her throat. It has the smoothest and silkiest texture. A perfect balance of flavor where herbs and spices tenderly caress all her taste buds.

It makes her eyes water. She almost forgot what a proper meal tasted like, but...

Oh God! This is the most delicious meal I've ever had!

Rassii was so engrossed in eating that she failed to notice that everyone was staring at her in disbelief. She finished the soup almost in the blink of an eye. She even licked the bowl clean.

Did she just drink the soup? Lord Luke twitched his lips in disgust. Is a human eating like a lowly beast?

New dishes are continuously served by the servant: appetizer, salad, main course, dessert, and mignardise.

These kinds of gourmet meals were only prepared, cooked, and served for chosen royalties. It is fine dining. The food should be enjoyed with a slow bite so you can savor the food, but this rule doesn't apply to her.

She was shoving all the food in her mouth with such a great pace that she almost choked. The butler poured her water. She drank it without pausing to breathe.

The butler and other servants were thrown into a state of confusion. Her refined beauty doesn't match up with her barbaric appetite.

It is a seven-course meal, but the servant ended up serving more than that.

Rassii was finally back in her room. It is her first time getting full. The food they serve is out of this world. And even the water here tastes so good.

The rich taste still lingers in her mouth. She doesn't have any regrets and doesn't mind if she gets punished after this.

She lay down on the bed. Her mouth curled into a smile, but her eyes were wet. The next thing she knew, her tears started pouring like waterfalls.

She clutches her chest. This feeling is different from before.

She always thought she was some kind of animal.

Now, she felt how to be a - HUMAN...

But,

Could I trust these people?

Could I trust the King? He is surely hiding his true nature behind his smile.

But it was really hard to trust anyone.

Some images flash in her head. Those were painful memories.

When you let your guard down, these people will betray you without fail.

"So, what should I do now?"

She doesn't know what her life will be like after this night.