Chapter 17- Absolute Veil

Multiple Personal Domains (Multiple Veils)

(Multiple Veils)

Narcael's heavy footsteps resonated in the hallway as he carefully carried Rassii to her room. The soft click of the door closing echoed in the dimly lit space, shrouded in an air of secrecy. Gently placing her on the bed, Narcael retrieved a vial from the recesses of his sleeve.

Emergence, a delicate process that could only be undertaken once, bridged the gap between the flow of time in dreams and reality. However, Narcael's recent decision proved to be a misstep, leaving him with unfruitful results. Rassii lay in his magnum for over two hours, succumbing to a deep slumber from which no external force could wake up her.

The vial in Narcael's hands contained a potion named "Undreaming," crafted by the Stars from the mystical river of Smore. As he uncorked the bottle, an ethereal blue mist materialized, carrying with it the sweet scent of potent medicine.

Cradling Rassii's head in his hands, Narcael carefully parted her lips and administered no more than five drops of the potion. This elixir held the promise of slowly awakening her from her profound slumber, though a temporary price would be paid in the form of a high fever and haunting nightmares.

"I'm sorry," Narcael sighed, remorse tainting his expression. His wounded pride had nearly jeopardized Rassii, and he found himself grappling with the consequences.

The nightmares that awaited her were not ordinary ones but manifestations of her deepest fears and regrets. To escape the clutches of this mental labyrinth, Rassii needed to confront and conquer each spectral terror or risk being ensnared in an endless loop of nightmares.

The creaking door drew Narcael's attention, prompting him to face the Royal Keeper, Fredzien, who had entered the room. A glance at the bed revealed the unfolding situation to Fredzien.

"I never thought I'd witness you making an unwise decision. But today, you proved me wrong," Fredzien remarked, his tone laced with disappointment.

Narcael stood, meeting the gaze of the Royal Keeper. "My apologies, my sire. I tried, but I failed."

Acknowledging failure only deepened the wounds of his wounded pride.

"You appear utterly exhausted. Discovering that she's not like anyone else must have been quite a shock."

Narcael clenched his fists. "Surprisingly, she possesses a veil. Her true self is shrouded in a darkness I cannot penetrate."

"I am aware. That's precisely why I selected you as her Chisel. However, it seems your blessed vision was ineffective against her."

"How can an unranked bearer create a veil that surpasses my clairvoyance?" Narcael's frustration seeped into his words. "I've tried. All I see is darkness."

Fredzien chuckled, finding amusement in Narcael's vexed expression. Pride, once lofty, now lay scattered.

Clearing his throat, Fredzien continued, "Do you believe she's capable of such a feat?"

"What do you mean?"

"When does a sharp blade become dull? There's no veil your blessing cannot break, 'The Eye of the Truth.' Even if she creates one, your power should always trace the source of memories, unless they are higher-ranking bearers, or..."

Narcael squinted as realization dawned. "Are you suggesting she received a blessing? But that's impossible, my sire."

Fredzien gestured towards Rassii. "Yes, it's quite intriguing. It may seem impossible, but if an Eternal King is involved, we are not capable of going beyond."

"That still doesn't make sense," Narcael muttered, recalling the impenetrable world she had created.

A normal person could subconsciously create a barrier to protect their memories. Bearers, however, were different, capable of forming a domain, which we called "Veil." Rassii's veil, though, was insurmountable. It was a vortex of darkness that threatened to devour existence itself. Only Narcael's high-ranking abilities and the safety of his own magnum had spared him from potential obliteration.

Fredzien seemed to grasp his thoughts. "Anyone can create multiple barriers in their subconscious, but only high-ranking bearers can create a multiple veil. She, however, created only one, and it was absolute and formidable, with no flaws. Do you understand why?"

"Because she's incapable of forming one, even with a blessing."

"Indeed, she received a blessing, but an unranked bearer is not yet capable of constructing a veil. Yet hers was impenetrable. It is evident that someone with greater prowess than us intervened."

"And that someone is the veil's true owner." Narcael asserted, his gaze narrowing. "In all likelihood, from my observations, she hasn't undergone any trial. However, if she indeed received a blessing without undergoing the holy trials, a substantial toll awaits her. The coveted blessing, if embraced without sufficient dominance, may not only  consume her core but also lead to her demise."

Without a doubt," Fredzien concurred. "Yet, her current ability to withstand this bestowed power is remarkable, particularly given her unranked status."

"But the gradual erosion of her subconscious has already begun," Narcael remarked, clenching his fist. "Only those bearers who have successfully navigated arduous trials are considered deserving of a king's blessing. Such individuals must substantiate their worth by surmounting seemingly insurmountable challenges."

"I know she is the greatest affront to all high-ranking bearers who have undergone holy trials," Fredzien's eyes flared. "However, if news of her receiving a blessing without a trial spreads within the academy, it will sow chaos. Hatred from other bearers, especially the high rankers, will create internal conflict. This information must remain within these walls."

"But, sire, fairness and truth must prevail within the academy. She has not proven herself and should undergo a trial."

"Blessings are either a gift or a curse. If one is unworthy, death will come. If she survives, she earns the right to be blessed," Fredzien declared. "She may be the weakest bearer recognized by the academy, but surviving as an unranked bearer is a trial in itself. We must consider that she may have received aid from the Eternal King."

Narcael conceded, realizing the Royal Keeper was right. Being an unranked bearer, seemingly without exceptional abilities, was a trial in its own right. Survival in the academy and being chosen as a bearer required exceptional qualities.

"Yes, I understand. Forgive my insolence, sire. You may punish me as you see fit."

"That's not why I'm here. There's something more crucial that I need you to do. The favor from above has finally arrived."

"What is it, sire?"

Fredzien handed Narcael a file, and as he read its contents, disbelief widened his eyes.

"Appearance of High-Ranking Singularity?"

"Our main scout confirms a high possibility of the Lost appearing in the world of Rhyesliëa."

Narcael's mood shifted dramatically, and excitement took hold. "I've waited so long for the higher singularity to manifest. I never imagined it would be now."

"Ensure that you don't miss any details."

"Yes, my sire."