Chapter 6

Tara was sitting in her hospital bed next to Nathan, thinking about everything he had revealed to her.

He told her absolutely everything, down to the smallest detail, including the reason why he had kept it hidden.

She wasn't sure what to think about it. On one hand, she understood that Nathan had kept it hidden to keep his parents safe. But on the other hand, she didn't understand why he didn't tell her. She would have kept the secret if he wanted it that way.

When she asked him about this, he said that by withholding information about an attempted murder, he automatically became complicit in it, even though he was the victim. He didn't want to involve her in that, so he hid it from her like the rest.

"I'm sorry I kept it from you." He apologized after a few seconds of silence.

"Don't worry, it's alright." She said in a calm tone.

It was normal for him to want to keep his parents safe after all the times they faced Ghostface, so he believed that lying would be doing it.

She personally couldn't say she understood him since she wasn't in his position, but she could sympathize with his decision.

"I thought you would be upset." He commented relaxing momentarily.

"Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm upset." She assured turning to look at him with a reproachful look. "How could you hide something like that? What will happen when the police find out?"

"Who knows." He responded with a shrug.

His attitude only angered her even more. How could he say that in such a nonchalant manner? Was he really that stupid?

Since before they were a couple, she knew that few things mattered to Nathan. Of the things he downplayed was himself.

He wasn't someone who cared much about what might happen to him, and now he was showing it.

"Anyway, I can tell they threatened to kill me if I said anything. It's not a big deal." He said still downplaying the matter.

"And if they don't believe you?" She asked with a frown.

"Well, the sentence for concealing information about a crime is from six months to three years." He said without realizing that the more he talked, the more upset Tara was.

This was something that bothered her a lot. She could never tell if when he said things like that he really meant it or was just joking.

It worried her that he didn't care about his own well being. She didn't know how far he could go.

Nathan used to put others above himself, her being one of his highest priorities, since his parents came first.

Now that there was a killer prowling the town, Tara knew that Nathan was staying with her to keep her as safe as possible.

Her boyfriend proved willing to break the law to keep his parents safe, so she didn't know what would happen if Ghostface showed up at the hospital and tried to kill her again. She didn't know how far Nathan would go to protect her. And she feared for it.

It's not that she was afraid of him, but that he would sacrifice himself so that she lived.

She understood that he cared about her to the point of neglecting himself, because she felt the same way.