Chapter 7

In front of the Hicks house, several police cars and ambulances could be seen stopped at the scene while some people approached what was happening.

Judy and Wes had been recently murdered. There was nothing to indicate who was the cause of it, but everyone knew that it was Ghostface because mother and son had wounds on their bodies made by a knife.

Dewey was in front of the house talking to an officer while other of his colleagues inspected the place and questioned the Hicks neighbors and paramedics put the bodies in black bags.

He wasn't wearing his uniform because the whole situation came up at the last minute, so he wouldn't be driving home just to change his clothes and then come back.

The officer walked away once they finished their conversation, allowing Dewey to watch as someone he knew all too well approached him.

"Gale?" He asked surprised once the woman reached his side.

"A text!?" She asked raising her voice as she hit his arm, which hurt Dewey because she did it with some force. "That's how you tell us that the murderer is back and that he has also attacked our son!?"

"Oh, that hurts." He complained rubbing his arm where she hit him.

"Good!" She said before hitting him one last time.

"You were on the air." He said in an attempt to justify why he texted her instead of calling her.

"How do you know that?" She asked looking at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Hunch." He responded with a shrug. "You look good. Are you still writing?"

Even he didn't know why he asked that, since Nathan had told him that she stopped doing it a while ago due to her job as a reporter.

He probably brought up the subject because he didn't know what to say having her in front of him.

"I don't have time. But that doesn't matter now. Is Nathan safe at the hospital?" She asked concerned for her son's safety.

When she read Dewey's message informing her of what was happening, she immediately tried to call her son to make sure he was okay.

Nathan mostly kept his cell phone on silent mode, so he never knew about this, which is why he didn't answer her calls.

Gale knew this because she had reproached him for this herself countless times, but her son was stubborn.

Unable to get in touch with him, she gave up and decided to believe what Dewey told her.

"Are you worried?" Dewey asked in a tone that showed he was upset.

"Of course." She responded with a confused look at his sudden change in attitude.

"Then why is your team here?" He asked looking at Gale's coworkers, who were getting everything ready to start broadcasting.

When she tried to ask her boss for a few days off to visit Nathan in the hospital, he refused, but told her she could go to Woodsboro as long as she brought her team with her and broadcasted the recent Ghostface attacks, which she did. She accepted considering that it was the only way to see her son without affecting her career.

"Don't be an idiot Dewey. I only came here because I was worried about you guys." She assured once she understood the reason why he was angry.

"Tch." He huffed while rolling his eyes, not believing what she was saying.

"Okay, yeah! My producers asked me to cover this for obvious reasons! But ninety nine percent is because of you two." She assured trying to show him that she was telling the truth.