Arc 2 - Prologue

Emilia: "Subaru, Ram and Rem were really worried."

Emilia spoke to Subaru, her silver bell voice filled with concern about the events that had just transpired. From her perspective, Subaru had just woken up at the mansion and screamed at the maid sisters.

Emilia: "They were unusually despondent, wondering if they had been impolite...."

However, for Subaru, he had just woken up after being tortured to death by the blue-haired maid Rem. His leg was cut off, and then he was beaten with chains until he was on the verge of death. Then, Rem would heal him so she could torture him some more.

From his perspective, he had just been brutally murdered and woke up to see the face of his killer staring at him.

Subaru: "Nothing happened between them and me."

However, even after being questioned about them having done something to him, he didn't say anything. From the world's perspective, they had committed no crime against Subaru. It wouldn't matter because no one would believe him.

Emilia: "Subaru, are you all right? If something's wrong, you're welcome to talk to me."

However, the silver-haired girl was still worried about Subaru. How could she not? He had recently been gravely injured helping save her from an assassin and was now acting like he had woken up from a terrible nightmare.

Subaru: "If I could tell Emilia that it's no use, that I can't take it anymore...."

How could he explain it to her? It wasn't like she knew that he could Return By Death.

Subaru: "Wait... That's it."

Emilia: "What?"

Suddenly an idea came to him, if Emilia wasn't aware that Subaru could Return By Death, he could tell her. That way, she could know what was going to happen, and they could make it out alive together.

Subaru: "All this time, I've been struggling to change things alone, but...."

Emilia: "Subaru, are you sure you're all right?"

He paused for a moment and looked at Emilia, finally knowing what he had to do.

Subaru: "There's something I want you to know."

She looked at him, ready to accept the words that were about to come out of Subaru's mouth.

Emilia: "Ok."

Subaru looked at Emilia, ready to tell her everything.

Subaru: "Emilia... Several times up until now, I've died and gone back in time."

Emilia looked at Subaru wide-eyed and shocked. Her mouth opened and closed, trying to say something, anything, but the words wouldn't come to her.

Emilia: "What? Maybe you're mistaken. It was probably a bad dream. Ya, a bad dream. Don't worry Subaru, you're awake now."

She denied his statement. It seemed impossible. How was she supposed to believe him?

Subaru: "Emilia, please... Three times at the loot house, and now three times here at the mansion."

When Emilia looked at Subaru, she could see he was trembling. It was taking everything he had to tell her. She didn't want to believe him, but seeing him like that, there was no denying it. He was telling the truth.

Her amethyst eyes widened even more. She couldn't help but remember her interactions with Subaru the previous day.

Emilia: "Is that how you knew about Puck? How you knew I lost my insignia? How you knew where to find it? And how you knew there would be an assassin there?"