Arc 3 - Chapter 3

???: "Don't mess with me, woman! You want a punch to that pretty little face?!"

???: "Do not get ahead of yourself, peasant. Those of low character enjoy appropriately lowly fates."

Several voices argued, and three men surrounded a lone woman in the narrow alley, cutting off her avenues of escape.

This was a stereotypical street punk encounter, but what left a burning impression on Subaru was the striking appearance of the girl who repulsed the atmosphere hanging over the cramped alley.

Her hair was a radiant orange like the sun itself, flowing through a single barrette before spilling down her back. Her dress was blood crimson, and above all, the overwhelming beauty of the girl herself shone in her sordid surroundings. Even untrained eyes could tell at a glance that the jewelry on her neck, ears, and fingers were of the highest quality. Her full outfit, coordinated from top to bottom, had to be worth at least a hundred times the money Subaru had on him. And yet, all that extravagant jewelry was incomparable to her face.

The girl crossed her arms in a calm posture that only accentuated her bountiful breasts. He couldn't just stand back and watch while her attitude raised the men's hackles ever higher.

Subaru: "—H-heya! Sorry to keep you waiting, honey!"

Subaru immediately raised a hand and wedged himself into the middle of the action. Laughing by himself as he interrupted the surprised trio, Subaru put his hands together in supplication.

Subaru: "It seems that she's caused you a little trouble, but could you do me a favor and let it slide? I'm sure you can tell just by looking at her, but the girl is a little...y'know...in the head. You get me?"

Her celebrity-like style practically screamed "Rob me, please!" and she was hanging around the alleyways in a city with questionable levels of law enforcement. What sane person would be so reckless?

Subaru: "So that's how it is!"

He grabbed her hand.

???: "Mm...!"

Subaru: "Hey, let's move on before you cause the good boys here any more trouble. Let's do like we promised today and feed each other sweets, just the two of..."

Subaru quickly laid things out, casting her in the role he'd assigned Emilia in his fantasies, aiming to get her out of there as fast as possible. However...

Subaru: "Uhh?"

???: "Do not...touch me so freely!"

She put her other hand on top of Subaru's, twisting her body to yank the boy forward. A moment after he realized he'd lost his hold on her wrist, his face slammed right into the wall.

Subaru: "Wht th hll?!"

???: "Goodness, I take a step outside and this happens? Commoners drooling all over me..."

As he stood back up, Subaru glowered at her, as if finding her words beyond comprehension.

Subaru: "Play along, damn it! That's the time-honored method of saving a girl from street punks! You're supposed to catch on to these things!"

???: "I do not know what you mean. I simply do as I please."

Subaru: "A woman who slams your face into the wall is the worst kind of first meeting, you know?!"

Not only had she not picked up on his attempt to extricate her, but she treated him as a pervert. The pain and humiliation made him regret exercising his limited courage. Thinking that the men must find it hilarious, Subaru turned toward their pitying gazes again.