Arc 2 - Chapter 2

Ram: "And that should be it."

Subaru: "Thanks you two. Now that we got that over with, we can get to work."

In the wardrobe of the Roswaal mansion, two maids were taking measurements and picking out clothes for the newly hired butler. Since his warning stated that the Shaman would attack on the fourth day, they planned to assimilate Subaru into the manor first, then tackle the matter the next day while they made preparations. They also had him help with the chores that day since he already knew what needed to be done.

Rem: "Subaru-kun, I think I understand this plan of yours a bit. However, are you sure that you'll be able to pull it off?"

While Subaru was getting his measurements taken, he used almost all of his concentration to hold back his fear of Rem and Ram. In his last loop, Rem had tortured him to death in the forest. Subaru did not want a repeat of those events, making him extremely wary of the pair.

Subaru: "Look Rem, I get it's a crazy plan, but I know what I'm doing."

Ram: "Barusu is choosing to act as bait, and since losing him isn't a big deal. I'm ok with it."

Rem: "I understand Nee-sama. I'm just worried that Subaru-kun isn't really think-"

Subaru: "Are you serious? I'm not thinking this through? How about you come up with a better plan then?"

Rem: "Well, I-"

Subaru: "Exactly, you can't. Even Roswaal, your master, told you both to follow the plan I came up with."

Subaru had let out his frustration on Rem. He knew she didn't fully trust him, but it was still infuriating. He didn't want to give her a reason to kill him, but he also couldn't stand her saying he wasn't taking this seriously. Of course, he was taking this seriously. It was his life on the line after all, he knew how painful dying was. Why couldn't they understand that?

Rem: "..."

Subaru: "Sorry, I went too far. I'm just under a lot of stress right now. I'll see myself out."

As he walked out of the room and into the hallway, he let out a deep sigh, trying to calm down. His hands were very sweaty, his throat was dry, and his stomach was tense. He just needed some space so he could think.

Rem: "Subaru-kun."

Behind him, the blue-haired maid had caught up to him without him noticing.

Rem: "Did you have some sort of problem with Nee-sama and me in another loop? If so, I'd like to know what it was and what I can do to atone for it."

Subaru didn't know what to say. He hadn't forgiven Rem yet for what she had done to him, but he also knew that technically, the Rem here in front of him hadn't done any of that yet. It felt unfair to blame this Rem for the actions of a different Rem, yet he couldn't let his guard down around her.

Subaru: "Look Rem, I shouldn't have snapped at you, and I'm sorry. But why do you think something happened in another loop?"

Rem: "Because when you're around me or Nee-sama, you seem on edge about something."

He'd been caught, even though he tried to hide it.

Subaru: "Look, what happens in a loop stays in a loop. It's better to think that way."

While he thought that way, it was still hard to put into practice. It was not easy to erase the traumatic memories associated with the person who caused them.

Rem: "But if it's bothering you this much, shouldn't we discuss it?"

Subaru: "Rem, have you heard of the parallel worlds theory?"