Arc 3 - Chapter 2

Subaru: "Whoa, this is—!"

Subaru beamed at the huge carriage parked before him. Of course, it was a land dragon that drew the carriage, but this one boasted a sheer size that put every other land dragon Subaru had seen to shame.

Subaru: "He's so huge! And his scales are so hard! And his face is so scary!"

Emilia's lips softened into a slightly exasperated exhale at Subaru's exhilaration.

Emilia: "He really is worked up like a little kid. Isn't he?"

It was almost enough to make her forget his previous comments about sacrificing himself. How could someone so lively have gone through such horrible experiences?

She shifted her eyes to Rem, standing by her side, in search of agreement. But Rem gazed at the excited Subaru, enthralled.

Rem: "Subaru is cute when he gets like this. Do you not think so, Lady Emilia?"

Emilia: "Well, I do think it's cute, but... Mm, Subaru's been a bad influence on you, hasn't he?"

Emilia exhaled once again.

Subaru, paying no heed to the girls' opinions, reached to touch the land dragon without a second thought and shouted in a strange voice.

Subaru: "Hot damn! I'm so excited! I'm living the uber-fantasy dream right now, aren't I?!"

The land dragon's tolerance reached its limit around when Subaru lost himself in the moment and his touches turned into taps. A single sweep of its tail sent Subaru flying, spinning sideways.

Several seconds later, Subaru emerged from the foliage, spitting leaves out of his mouth.

Subaru: "Wh-what happened there?"

Rem: "Subaru, land dragons are highly intelligent creatures. Even if they cannot speak, they can express themselves very well. That is why one must treat them with the utmost respect."

Subaru: "Couldn't you have told me that a little sooner?!"

Brushing the leaves off his body, Subaru observed the shockingly huge land dragon. It narrowed its yellow eyes and let out a long breath, as if saying, That's what you get for running your hands over me.

During the exchange, he finally caught sight of the people he'd been waiting for. Roswaal and Ram were coming out of the mansion.

Subaru: "Hey there, what's up? You're late, aren't you? You're the one who set up the schedule, Rozchi. The guy who sets the schedule oughta live by it, don't you think, Rem?"

Rem: "I agree! Although, I'm the one who woke you up today when you didn't wake up on time... You may praise me for it, if you like."

Subaru: "Okay, all right, okay, that's enough, Rem."

Subaru stroked Rem while urging her silence after her unnecessary addition. That earned him a sharp stare from Emilia, but he bore it as best he could and dragged the subject back to Roswaal.

Subaru: "So why were you late? Everything looked in order at breakfast time."

Roswaal: "Ah, so sooorry. You see, with Ram staying behind, I will not be seeing her for a little while, yes? Thaaaat is whyyyy, I siiimply wanted to have a sooomewhat thorough farewell before our departure."

Roswaal adjusted his collar, raising a finger as he excused himself. Beside him, Ram hastened to ensure her hair and clothing were also in order, plainly in high spirits.

Subaru: "Okay, let's pretend I didn't ask. She's really gonna stay behind, though?"

Ram: "It can't be helped. We can't leave the mansion unattended, and Miss Beatrice is here as well, so I must look after her. It's troublesome."