Interlude - Rem

The girl named Rem always had a difficult everyday life. She was born in the Oni village. One of the last remaining settlements of the powerful Oni race. However, she was born as a twin, and twins were despised. Instead of having two horns like traditional Oni, twins only had one horn each.

They were nearly executed at birth by the village chief. As Rem's newborn cries sounded throughout the village, her sister Ram, displayed her gift from the heavens, convincing the village chief, to spare their lives.

Life in the village wasn't exactly pleasant for Rem. She and her sister occupied the lowest rungs on the ladder in the tribe. Ram was incredibly talented from birth, many among the tribe treated her as the reincarnation of the Oni god. Rem, however, didn't seem to have any special talent. She had no gift for combat, unlike her sister. She continued to watch as everyone in the village praised Ram's talent, and power, while Rem's existence was barely acknowledged.

The only one who was there for Rem, was her sister, Ram. They were almost never apart, Rem loved her sister, she revered her. Whenever Rem was sad her sister would cheer her up. Whenever she fell, Ram was there to help pick her up.

Life continued like this in the village, until one day, Rem awoke to the smell of something burning. When she looked outside, she saw her entire village on fire, and the surviving inhabitants fighting for their lives. When she looked around she saw the burnt corpses of her parents. She dropped to her knees then and there.

While she sat there motionless, the Witchcultists that had attacked the village approached her. Before they could harm Rem with their silver blades, their heads flew off. When she looked up she saw her sister, Ram standing there.

Ram went to embrace Rem, but she was suddenly thrown to the ground. This did not sit right with Rem, she could never look down on her sister. To do so would be against her way of life.

Just then, she heard Ram scream, and a glowing white horn went flying through the air.

Rem: "Finally, it broke off".

That was her final thought before she lost consciousness.

△▼△▼△▼△

Rem didn't remember anything that happened after that. She awoke in a mansion far away from home. The sisters were saved by a man named Roswaal L. Mathers. He employed the sisters as maids in the mansion, giving them a job, and a new place to call home.

However, after getting her horn cut off, Ram was nowhere near her former strength. Without her horn, she couldn't properly absorb and manage the mana in her body. This caused Ram extreme difficulty with all daily tasks, just living was difficult for her. Why did Ram have to lose her horn instead of her? These were the thoughts going through Rem's mind. So, she resolved herself to become the horn that her dearest sister had lost.

△▼△▼△▼△

As the years went on, the sisters continued working for their master Roswaal. Rem had become the head maid in the mansion after their teacher, Frederica had left.

Emilia: "Please, help him!"

The sound of a silver bell voice reverberated throughout the mansion. Her name was Emilia, Roswaal had taken her in because she qualified as a candidate in the upcoming royal selection.

She had brought with her a strange boy. He had black hair and was wearing strange clothes. The thing Rem took notice of right away though, was the scent that coated him. It was the Witch's Scent, the same scent that was on the people who attacked and murdered everyone in her village.

Beatrice was sent to heal him. The only opinion Rem had about the boy at that time was...

Rem: "The longer he stays here, the bigger a threat he is. Because once something happens, it will already be too late."