Arc 3 - Prologue

His mind was racing. What could he do? He had to do something? But the task in front of him seemed impossible. He needed help because Natsuki Subaru was weak. One glance would tell you that much.

He asked anyone he could think of. Anyone he felt had the most remote chance of providing him aid. However, he was rejected time and time again.

Couldn't they see it? Couldn't they see that he needed help? Couldn't they see how right he was? He knew what would happen, so why wouldn't they believe him? Why wouldn't they help him?

And why were they giving him that look?

That look that said he was crazy, that he was insane. Why did they look at him like he was a madman? He'd bore witness to true madness. One that would hurt so many innocent people, the same kind that Subaru was trying to stop. Subaru wasn't the bad guy, that insanity and the man it inhabited was.

Innocent people were going to die. People he cared about. Why was everybody so heartless and willing to let others perish? People who did nothing wrong, who were just living their lives innocently. Yet to others, they were disposable pawns that weren't worth the trouble to save.

When he closed his eyes he could still see it. He could still hear that insane laughter. But worst of all, he could still see her face, that face that looked so disappointed, right before she turned her back to him.

How could she leave him behind? Didn't she know that he saved her life? Time and time again. It's because of him that she is where she is right now? And now once again it's up to him to save her. She'll see that she's no good without him, that way she'll never leave his side again.

However, Rem wouldn't leave him behind. She would follow and help him. She would die for him. Even though she knew of his power, she would die to save him, to help spare him pain.

But would she still feel that same way if she discovered the kind of person Natsuki Subaru really was?

※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※

Authors Note

Did you miss me? Well, I've missed all of you. As you can see this is a short chapter meant to foreshadow upcoming events and where we'll be in our story.

I do have some bad news. I'm not done with the planning for the rest of the arc, and I'm very busy with college (and by busy I mean procrastinating on my assignments). So updates are going to be super slow. I'll try to get the rest of the arc planned out as soon as possible, it's just a bit hard because inspiration comes and goes. Planning a version of Arc 3 is a lot more difficult than Arc 2. There are so many characters, and with that comes so many new possibilities. I'll do my best to try and keep it all satisfying, and interesting.

Also, I know it's passed, but for a bit, this fic was #1 in the Re:Zero category on Wattpad. Sadly, when I mentioned this in the Reactionist discord server. I was banned right after without being given a warning or explanation. Look I don't want to start drama, it just sucks, because I love talking to people in the community who are also writers, and discussing how to make our stories better.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed it. I'll try to get everything finished soon, but no promises.