Arc 2 - Chapter 5

Subaru: "There are footprints, if we follow them it should lead us to the kids."

Out in the forest where Mabeasts roamed, there were sets of footprints belonging to young children who had gone missing. Time was running out, if they weren't found before the curse activated, they would surely die.

Ram: "It's very dangerous out there, but Roswaal-sama would be displeased if we let harm come to his territory."

Rem: "Since Roswaal-sama told us to assist Subaru-kun, we will go with you. However, if the danger is too great, we will head back at once."

The maids both understood the danger, but it was their job to protect their master and his reputation. This village was right next to the mansion. What would the people think of a lord who couldn't even protect those who were staying right next to him?

As they were about to enter the forest, Rem and Ram readied their weapons. Ram pulled out a wand, and Rem grabbed her Mourningstar.

Subaru immediately took notice of Rem's weapon. The sounds of the rustling chains right next to him brought back memories that he would rather forget.

He was about to enter a forest full of monsters that would attack them on site. They had no clue how many there were, or how strong. He was afraid, he had every right to be. However, if he failed now what would that make him? A failure who couldn't even save a few children? A fraud who talked a big game only to fail when it got tough? No, he couldn't fail now.

Subaru: "Alright, let's save those kids."

Together, they all ran into the forest.

△▼△▼△▼△

Rem: "I smell something alive... It is close."

Subaru: "Is it the kids?."

Rem: "I do not know, but it is not an animal smell."

They had been trying to follow the tracks as closely as they could, but it was dark out. After a while, they started relying on Rem's sense of smell.

Subaru: "That's enough to go on."

As they rushed forward they entered a clearing. The moon illuminated the scenery in front of them. There was a green slope in the middle.

Subaru: "The kids!"

On top of the slope, Subaru could see them. Once he made it to the top he saw there were six bodies on the ground. They weren't conscious but they were breathing, and their bodies were warm to the touch.

Subaru: "They're alive. They're alive! We made it in time!"

He was shouting out in joy. But the twins next to him had stern looks on their faces.

Rem: "No, they are still breathing, but they are heavily debilitated. At this rate..."

Subaru: "Debilitated...? The curse?"

When he looked closer he saw that their faces were pale, and their breathing was short and ragged. They were covered in a cold sweat with pained expressions on their faces.

Subaru: "After we finally found them... Rem, can't you lift the curses?"

Rem: "My skill is insufficient. At any rate, I'll use healing magic to put them at ease. We shall carry them once they calm down."

Subaru: "Got it. I'll... Shit, I'm so useless. I'll keep an eye out for trouble with Ram."

He couldn't fight, and couldn't even ease their pain. Ram could actually do something if there was an attack, but what could he do? Meanwhile, Rem infused her palm with healing magic and began to treat the children. At the rate they were calming down, they could bring the kids back to the mansion and ask Beatrice to lift the c-