Arc 2 - Chapter 7

A few minutes after Emilia left the room, he was visited by Rem. She seemed nervous. She sat down in the same seat Emilia was in.

Rem: "So... Are you feeling better?"

Subaru: "Well all my limbs are attached, and I'm not dead. So I'd say I'm feeling alright, except for the pain anytime I move."

Rem: "That's not good at all!"

Subaru: "It's better than dying, trust me."

Rem: "..."

She looked down at the ground, unable to look him in the eye.

Subaru: "Is something wrong?"

Rem: "Why aren't you upset at me?"

Subaru: "Huh?"

Rem: "Look how hurt you got. If I hadn't been so careless. If it was Nee-sama instead of me, you wouldn't be in so much pain right now."

Subaru: "That's not true at al-"

Rem: "And this isn't the first time I've hurt you either, is it?"

Subaru: "..."

Rem: "It's been on my mind ever since Beatrice-sama confirmed the curse had been placed on you. I hurt you in a previous loop, didn't I?"

Subaru: "..."

He didn't know what to say. Subaru had tried to ignore the issue and act like it never happened. However, no matter how much he tried, he couldn't help but remember what happened. Moreover, he'd acted out at Rem after he'd woken up. She wasn't so unperceptive as to not put two and two together.

Subaru: "As I said before it doesn't-"

Rem: "Matter. I know, you said that. However, I don't believe that. You saved me back in the forest, yet I had hurt you. You shouldn't have gotten hurt protecting me. I'm not worth it. If it was Nee-sama I would understand. If she had her horn she could have done better. Nee-sama always knew what to do."

Rem's words trailed off as she meekly looked up at Subaru.

What rested in her eyes were not tears but hollow resignation and despair.

Rem: "I was always Nee-sama's...substitute. I've always, always been inferior. Truly, I am a good-for-nothing. I could not catch up to Nee-sama no matter how much I chased after her."

Faint tears abruptly welled up in her eyes.

Subaru: "..."

Rem: "Why was I the one to keep my horn? Why wasn't it Nee-sama? Why was Nee-sama born with only one? Why...? Why were Nee-sama and I twins?"

Rem's lips trembled as she sought meaning for her very existence. The tears welling in her eyes rolled onto her cheeks, making Rem's pale flesh glimmer in sorrow.

Rem: "Why are you even bothering with me? I've probably hurt you a lot more than I even know. So why? I'm not worth it, I'm a disgrace to the Oni. What value do I possibly have?"

Subaru held his silence. Rem seemed unable to bear the quiet, hastily wiping the tears off her cheek.

Subaru: "Why would I hate you Rem?"

Rem: "Because I hurt you in a previous loop. Because you had to save me and got hurt."

Subaru: "But the Rem in front of me didn't hurt me, and I think it was worth getting hurt to save you."

Rem: "..."

Subaru: "After hearing everything you just said, I think you're a pretty big idiot."

Rem: "Eh?"