Arc 2 - Epilogue

I'm opening writing commissions on Twitter: twitter.com/Ja_K515

Please read the author's note at the end of this chapter for more information.

※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※

Roswaal: "Weeeellll, that was a stressful few days. It is safe to say that if we were not more careful, we would have been dealt irreversible damage."

In a corner of the Roswaal mansion. The lord of the manor, and Ram, his servant were having a secret meeting.

Ram: "With the loss of the children of the village, and possibly staff here at the mansion, it was quite the close call Roswaal-sama."

Roswaal: "Quuuuiiiite a close call indeed, if it weren't for Subaru-kun, things would have turned out quite differently."

For Roswaal L. Mathers, Subaru's appearance was like a blessing. He first saved Emilia from the Bowel Hunter, then went on to save Arlam village, which was located right next to Roswaal's private estate.

If Natsuki Subaru hadn't shown up, he wasn't entirely sure what would have happened.

Roswaal: "How is his recovery?"

Ram: "Thanks to Emilia-sama and Beatrice-sama's quick intervention, they were able to heal most of his wounds."

Roswaal: "I wonder what illness has befaaallen Beatrice. I have known her for quite some time, and the boy is the first time I have seen her become so involved. Surely she could not have...? Ah, surely not..."

He closed his blue eye as he discarded the implication of his own words. Ram pretended not to hear the quiet portion at the end.

Ram: "Thanks to you Roswaal-sama, the Mabeasts that put the curses on Barusu have been eliminated. However, the rites for those curses remain in his body."

Roswaal: "So they are intertwined with such complexity that even Beatrice cannot unravel them... My, my, that is a curse in an altogether different sense."

Though the rites remaining in the absence of their casters was some cause for concern, there was essentially no danger of their activating. However, Subaru's body had taken the bullets that, in the worst case, would have spread to others still, those not only in his employ but also, more importantly, Emilia.

As a result, Emilia's participation in the royal selection had been preserved. It was, in every way, service that merited a reward.

Roswaal: "Incidentally, Ram...concerning the iiissue of the demon beasts, did you check on what I asked you to?"

Roswaal asked with a meek look that was quite rare to see on him, and it threw Ram off a fair bit. He awaited her reply as she touched her forehead. Her finger prodded the old wound beneath her headdress. Ram felt the faint throb of the scar as she made her report.

Ram: "As far as I have determined from the corpses that remain, the demon beasts were all hornless."

Roswaal exhaled at Ram's reply. He leaned back against his chair.

Roswaal: "The demon beasts I mopped up were the same. Howeeever, that makes this something far larger than an issue of mere noxious beasts, does it nooot?"

Ram: "A demon beast with its horn severed will obey the one who severed it. That would mean some fool directed the beasts toward your manor or your lands in general, Master Roswaal."

Roswaal: "It is no doubt relaaated to the royal selection. This has interfered with us considerably."

Roswaal: "Do you have an educated guess as to the 'ringleader' who severed the horns?"