Arc 2 - Chapter 3

Late at night, in the Roswaal manor, a silver-haired girl was studying. However, she couldn't help but feel uneasy. Today had been a whirlwind of surprises, Subaru's revelations had put the mansion on high alert. He'd come up with a plan to deal with the coming attack, but...

Emilia: "It's really risky."

Puck: "I get what you mean Lia, but we should have some faith in Subaru. He does have a much better understanding of the attack than we do after all."

The girl's self-proclaimed father, a cat spirit named Puck interjected.

Emila: "I just feel really guilty, he's gone through so much, and I wasn't able to do anything."

Subaru had revealed that he had the ability to go back in time when he died. When Emilia heard this she was horrified, apparently he had been dying over and over in the mansion. She had been unable to save him, despite her owing him her life when he saved her the previous day.

Puck: "Well I don't think he's feeling good about the situation either. I mean think about it, he knows about threats that are coming, yet he's totally powerless to stop them. That's got to be a massive blow to his self-confidence."

While it made sense that Emilia was disappointed in herself for not being able to help Subaru, Puck explained how Subaru is probably more frustrated with himself.

Emilia: "Even so, I can't help but think I could have done more to help him, he's even trying to keep me out of this plan of his."

Puck: "Well I can understand his thought process, you're a royal selection candidate. Of course he doesn't want to have you get involved, it is dangerous after all."

Emila: "But I just want to help. It's not fair to Subaru, he keeps getting hurt and dying just so he can save me. I want to be able to pay him back, with this it just feels like I'll never be able to now.

How do you pay back someone who died for you multiple times, and continued to put themselves in harm's way for you? She didn't know the answer to that.

Emilia: "I mean all he asked for when he saved me yesterday was my name. He deserves so much more."

She was concerned with his lack of ambition. He seemed to only be content with small rewards.

Puck: "While that might be true, I don't think that's the most worrying thing about him."

Emilia: "Hm?"

Puck could tell that there was more to Subaru's ability than probably even he knew.

Puck: "Depending on what happens to him, he could become quite the formidable opponent. I mean dying, then going back in time to beat your opponent, with knowledge from the future. That's terrifying. If his checkpoint is placed back far enough, he could set up preparations to take out anyone. If he ever got captured, he could just kill himself to escape and go back to make sure he avoids getting taken. Even I don't know what would happen if Subaru tried to take me out."

Return by Death was a fearsome ability, it could turn whoever uses it into an unstoppable force the likes of which the world hasn't seen.

Puck: "And this is assuming he doesn't go completely insane. Dying can really mess a person up in the head. If he dies enough times, who knows what he'll be like? If he goes crazy and decides to go on a rampage, I'm not sure how you'd stop him."

Emilia was shocked, she didn't expect Puck to look at Subaru that way.

Emila: "But we don't know if that will happen. I mean, so far he's only been using it to help people. I can't see him going so far to hurt people."