Nightmares & Secret Places

Gasping for air, Tobio's eyes shot open. He sat up. It's pitch black. He can't see. He can't breathe properly. His heart is racing. He can't move. He's glued to the bed. Tobio's paralysed as tears once again prick the corners of his eyes.

Tanaka, who was sleeping peacefully beside him on the floor, had woken up.

Looking up beside him, he's able to see the outline of Kageyama sitting up, unmoving.

"Kageyama? Are you okay?" He asks, a little worried. He didn't answer.

Getting up, Tanaka slowly sits behind him, wrapping his arms around him, resting his head on Tobios shoulder.

Slowly but surely, Tobio's breathing was able to go back to normal, but he didn't move, and Tanaka wasn't sure if he actually wanted him to move or not. It'd be nice to stay like this.

Moments later he did move. He tries to move toward the door, and again, Tanaka has a grip on him that stops him.

He sits back down on the bed. He can feel Tanakas gaze on him, though tried to ignore it.
"You wanna-"
"No."
"Please just tell me-"
"No."

Not understanding why Tobio won't just tell him what's wrong, Tanaka drops it and lies back down.

Doing the same thing, Kageyama turns away from him, falling back asleep in a matter of minutes.

-

Tanaka is the first one to wake up out of the two. Stretching, he got up, unable to help but look at the boy sleeping peacefully on the bed.

His bed to be precise.

He can't help but stare at him. With the way the light reflected onto his face, how peaceful and relaxed he seemed to be, which all just made him seem prettier, ignoring the injuries that is, not that Tanaka thought his injuries were ugly.

Getting up, Tanaka made his way into the kitchen, looking through the fridge for things to have for breakfast.

Luckily, they went shopping yesterday, so he had plenty of things to eat.

Only as he had finished cooking the bacon, did Kageyama tiredly stumble into the kitchen.

"I'm gonna guess you're gonna make me stay for breakfast too?" His hair was a mess and sticking up and him in Tanakas clothes only made him appear more attractive.

"Are you sure you don't want ice? It looks like it's gotten worse." He says, dishing Tobio a plate, who only rolls his eyes.

"I'm fine. I don't need your pity," he spits out. "But it's not pity."
"Oh yeah? Then what is it?"
"It's genuine care and concern." You'd have to look close to notice the slight pause, otherwise you would miss it. Tanaka noticed though. Did Kageyama really think that Tanaka didn't care about him?

They ate breakfast in silence. Tobio didn't seem to mind, while Tanaka was trying to think of something to talk about.

He didn't really know much about him to be honest. He's tried to, but it's almost as if he's elusive or something. Never around when he goes to ask him to hang out.

Maybe that's what he should say while he still has the chance?

"So do you like cafés?" Tobio looks up from his food, swallows then shrug. "They're alright." Tanaka nods at that. "Do you have any places that you prefer to hang out at?"
"Why?"

"Because it'd be fun to hang out with you." Tobio looks at him skeptically, then scoffs. "Yeah, as if you'd think that."
"Why is it so hard for you to think that genuinely want to spend my time with you?" Kageyama goes quiet.

"Do you really think that I wouldn't care about your injuries? Or that I care about you in general?" Seeing the hurt expression on Tobio makes him feel bad, making him wish he didn't say anything at all, and kept the conversion light and cheery.

It's only morning and he'd already made Kageyama feel sad.

But it's true, what he said. Does Kageyama really think all that? Is that why he refuses to get close with anyone?

After breakfast, Tobio chose to sit on the couch, watching a random movie he wasn't paying attention to.

Tanaka sat down next to him. "I'm sorry. I'll stop bugging you about what happened." He says quietly.

"Where do you prefer to hang out at?" Kageyama shrugs. "Anywhere, I'm not too fussy. As long as it's not too crowded or too loud. But I prefer my own hangout spot. It's quiet and secluded there."

Tanaka perked up at that. "Secluded?" He questioned. "Yeah, you know, private. Concealed. Away from people."

Tanaka tried not to let his imagination get too wild. I mean, he's barely managed to convince the boy to hang out with him, let alone date him.

"You wanna do that some time?"
"If I do-" Tanaka felt a little hopeful-"you're not going to tell anyone about it right?"
"Well obviously, that would just ruin the purpose of private, wouldn't it? What about today? You busy today?"

Kageyama shakes his head. "No, I'm free today."

Feeling strangely excited, Tanaka leaves to change into day clothes, holding a pair in his arms. "Here, spare clothes," he says, trying to be casual about it, handing them over. Thanking him, Kageyama quickly changes in the bathroom, coming out a few seconds later.

"I don't really have any shoes though, they're still wet."
"Oh, you can just borrow a pair of mine." Walking off, he comes back with a pair of socks, handing them to him.

Now walking over to the front door, Tanaka grabs a pair of old look converse from the shoe rack. "They're a little old, but they should be fine." Kageyama laughs at him. "Man, if these are old, mine must ancient." he joked, tying the laces.