Coach to the Rescue

"Hey are you okay." A female's voice asks. Lifting his head up to see who's talking to him, he finds that it's Kiyoko looking down at him with concern and worry in her eyes.

"I'm fine," is all he says with a hoarse voice. Closing his eyes again, he leans his head against the pole.

Shrugging, she sits down beside him, leaning against him, quietly sitting.

"What are you doing?" He asks, turning to face her. "Sitting." She answers. "What happened?" She asks. He doesn't answer. "Did you get into a fight?"
"Something like that."
"With who?" He recognises that her voice is softer than usual.
"Moms boyfriend." He says quietly, feeling like he doesn't have to lie to her. "How'd it happen?"

"Came home from school. Mom was there. Kicked me out. I got mad and beat up the door. He came out and beat me up. I did manage to hit him a few times though."
"Why'd she kick you out?"
"Said something about only needing one house, needing more money, and that I shouldn't be living alone." He explains.

"Why were you living alone?" she asks.

"She left me when I was younger with my grandfather, but he died two years ago."
"Why'd she leave you? What about your dad?"
"She said she was sick and promised to come back when she was better. She never did. Dads in prison, don't remember, had to do with drugs."

She wraps an arm around him. "Do you have anywhere you can stay?" He shakes his head. "Not really. Well, kinda I guess."

She gets up and brushes herself off. "Come on, let's go." She says, extending an arm. He looks up at her skeptically. "Why? Where are you making me go?" She shakes her head. "I'm not telling, now come on."

Rolling his eyes, he gets up. She takes his hand and starts leading him somewhere. He's limping, Tobio feels worse than before. He just wants to sleep, why did she have to show up? Why did she have to ruin his life again?

It's only when he starts paying attention, does he know where she's leading him.

Walking in the store, once again, coach Ukai is sitting at the front desk, reading another magazine. He looks up when he hears the bell ring, only to find Kiyoko leading Tobio inside, who's bruised and covered in blood.

He puts the magazine down. "What happened?" He immediately asks. "Is it the one from earlier?"
"Why don't you people ever know how to mind your business?" he says in a slightly irritated tone.

Coach Ukai sighs. "Kageyama, it's a bit hard to mind my business when you look like this, now tell me what happened." Kageyama is stubborn, he stays quiet.

Ukai looks over at Kiyoko for answers. "It was his moms boyfriend, after he got kicked out of the house," she answers, causing Tobio to frown at her.

"I thought you said you didn't live with your mom?" Kageyama huffs out in annoyance. "I don't. She just showed up and said she was selling the place. Said that one house is enough, needing the money and that I shouldn't be living alone anyway. Fucking bitch."

"Do you know where you're going to stay now?" Tobio shakes his head. "What about Tanaka?"
"No."
"And why not?"
"I don't want to burden others with my problems."
"Kageyama! Holy shit it is not burdening if we want to help you." He says, tapping Tobio on the forehead. "Whatever, we'll sort that out later, just sit down on the counter."

Kageyama does as he's told and hops up on the counter. "Kiyoko, can you flip the closed sign for me?" He says before disappearing, coming back with a container and wash cloth.

Setting the container down, he dips the cloth in before gently wiping Kageyama's face, who tries to swat him away. "Kageyama stay still for a second and let me help you." He says, now using one hand to hold his face, and the other to clean.

He dips the cloth back in the water, turning the once clear liquid into red. "I'm almost done, so you can stop squirming." He comments, gently wiping over his black eye several times.

"Can you go and get me something cold from the fridge?" Nodding, Kiyoko does as she's asked, finding a cold packet of something, leaving it on the counter for now.

Ukai puts the container of blood-filled water down, taking the cold packet and placing it on his eye. "I don't need it." Tobio mumbles. "Yes, you do. It helps with the swelling, now give me your phone." Kageyama looks at him. "What? Why?"

"Because if you're not going to call him, I will." Coach says in stern voice. "Unless you have somewhere else to stay, that is." Tobio goes quiet. "Or if you wanna call him yourself you can."

Slowly, he pulls out his phone. Staring at the contact on the small screen. Once it was clear that he couldn't do it, Ukai grabs the phone off him and steps outside.

Kiyoko steps closer to the boy, wrapping her arms around him. He does the same thing, setting the 'ice pack' on the counter, resting his head in the crook of her neck.

Coach Ukai walks back in, setting the phone down beside the 'ice pack'. "Are there any other injuries I should know about?" Head still buried in Kiyokos shoulder; he shakes his head. "You sure? You're not lying to me?"
"No, I'm not fucking lying to you." He grumbles, now resting his chin on her shoulder.

"You wouldn't mind showing me then, right?" Kiyoko looks at the coach, then steps away from him. Rolling his eyes, He lifts up his shirt. "See? I'm fine. Just a bunch of shitty bruises."

Seeing the damage didn't make him feel better, he's just glad that Kageyama isn't any worse.

"What's that?" Kiyoko asks, noticing red marks on his neck. Kageyama pulls his shirt down so they can see. "Just from strangulation." He says casually, just as Tanaka walks through the door, sweating and panting.