Chapter Six

The day before Nella Valkirino visited the de Ach residence.

The nobles' palace meeting had started in the morning, but barely came to a close late at night.

"Where should I take you, Your Majesty?"

Following Hadel, who had emerged from the meeting room, was a long line of attendants.

"I'm going to the lake. Nobody follow me."

"But..."

"Do you think there exists anyone in this continent that can harm me?"

"...But, Your Majesty."

"If you're okay with your neck being cut off, go ahead and follow me."

Seeing Hadel, whose expression did not change as he spoke such fierce words, the attendants could only bow their heads.

His words were the truth, after all. Hadel was the strongest warrior and the best swordsman on the continent. Even after multiple assassination attempts, he had not lost his life.

At this point, the assassins sent were rather pitiful.

"We've received your order."

Seeing his attendants leave, Hadel went to the back of the royal palace, towards the lake.

This was where he went whenever his thoughts were complicated.

He particularly liked coming here at night, as he could think about Asha as he watched how the moonlight shone on the still lake.

"Whew..."

Hadel's sigh flowed into the night fog and became one with the lake.

In the darkness, a single shadow approached.

"What is it, Taimon?"

It was his personal shadow guard who was always in the shadows following the Emperor.

"This might be presumptuous of me, Your Majesty."

"Speak."

"Why did you approve of it?"

"What are you talking about?"

Although he knew what Taimon was talking about, Hadel acted as if he didn't know.

"...The issue about instating a queen. It is to my knowledge that Your Majesty has no plans on taking a queen."

"Yes, you're right. Such a useless thing is garbage to me."

"So why did you approve the request of the nobles today?"

Taimon had been Hadel's follower since he'd first entered the palace. That's why Hadel was especially weak towards Taimon.

Although he was a tyrant to everyone else, he treated Taimon like a friend.

Looking at Taimon's face for a second, he slowly opened his mouth.

"An approval, you say... I told them to do as they wished, not that I approved of it."

"However... If you do so, they will definitely bring a queen."

"They would. That's why I told them to do what they want."

Taimon blinked as if he didn't understand Hadel's response. After a moment of silence, Hadel continued.

"Even if I continue to reject them, those bothersome nobles will keep offering a queen. So, what can I do to stop their idiotic actions?"

"..."