Chapter Fourteen

"Achoo!"

The tip of my nose had been itchy since earlier, so I ended up sneezing again.

I lost track of how many times I'd sneezed, yet not a single maid had asked how I was feeling. They were probably cautious because they didn't know how Madame Chunet would react.

My body felt cold, so I pulled the blankets close to me and curled up. However, I could strangely still feel the chilly air.

Perhaps it was because my nervousness about meeting Hadel earlier had disappeared.

Finally, I couldn't stand it any longer and quietly called for Madame Chunet.

"Madame Chunet."

"Yes, Miss Silver Lily."

"Can you stoke the fire a bit more?"

"...I cannot."

"Haa. What can you do?"

Madame Chunet ignored my grumbles, instead calling my name in her characteristically dry voice.

"Miss Silver Lily."

"Yeah, go ahead."

"Do you know why His Majesty was so surprised?"

There it is.

I was wondering why you hadn't asked me.

She definitely received an order to watch and report my every action to Duke Valkirino.

The Emperor's visit alone must have been surprising, so they probably were especially curious as to why that Emperor powerlessly collapsed before returning.

I took a second to consider how I should respond.

I definitely couldn't tell the truth, but it'd be strange to pretend I didn't know anything at all.

Acting like it wasn't of much importance, I spoke with a slight smile.

"Who knows. Don't you know the reason well enough, Madame Chunet?"

After saying that, I grabbed a handful of my hair and shook it.

The Head Maid stared at my face for a moment, then bowed her head without any further words.

I was going to motion for her to leave the room, but I stopped because I suddenly thought of a good idea to let Hadel know who I was.

"Madame Chunet. No matter how much my actions are restricted here, it shouldn't matter what I do with the funds allocated to me, right?"

"Correct, though the amount of money allocated to you is so small that I'm not sure you'll be able to buy what you want, Miss Silver Lily."

"It doesn't matter. What I want is very common, you see."

"...What is it?" Madame Chunet asked suspiciously.

In response, I clearly stated my request.

"A bird. Get me a very yellow chick."

"...What do you plan on using it for?"

"Do I have to tell you something like that too?"

"...But..."

"It's because I'm lonely, okay?! And I know selling and purchasing animals on the streets is illegal according to the Empire's laws, so adopt a cute but strong chick from a licensed chicken farm."

Madame Chunet didn't respond.

To confirm, I hammered in the nail one more time.

"No matter how powerless I am as a Queen only in name, can't you at least do this? I don't think the Duke will be interested in me raising a chick."