Chapter Eight

"Your Majesty. I have a report to make."

Hadel paused at the voice coming from the darkness.

With a splash, the lake's water sloshed belatedly, creating a small disturbance.

Hadel, feeling the flow of the water for a moment, responded languidly.

"Speak."

"Marquis Melliott seems to plan on staying quiet."

"Hooo. What a surprise."

Marquis Melliott was a man full of ambition.

He had assumed the Marquis would use this opportunity to make his daughter the Queen, but it appeared he was surprisingly careful.

"What a shame. I wanted to kill that ridiculous woman once and for all this time."

A woman who, just when he had almost forgotten her, would appear in his quarters and infuriate him.

At first, he had been shocked at her silver hair and silver eyes.

But he couldn't stand by and let her continue any longer.

"Then what about the Valkirinos?"

Duke Valkirino was another noble itching to strike because he couldn't make his daughter into the Empress.

Nella Valkirino, who was rumoured to be vicious and spiteful, was an enemy he was expecting a commotion from.

"That... The Valkirinos decided to send someone."

"And?"

"It's not Nella Valkirino."

For a moment, a tense calm fell onto the surface of the lake. Hadel, who had been soaking, slowly got out. The moonlight shone on his pale shoulders.

Drip.

The water dripped down his toned muscles.

"How interesting."

With a strange smile, Hadel swept back his wet, black hair.

Droplets of water fell as he did so.

"Tell me more. That isn't all the information you have, is it, Taimon?"

"Of course. But it's unexpected."

"Tell me. I don't care what it is."

"I heard they're sending an adopted child who was put onto the Duke's family register. But I think..."

Unlike usual, Taimon hesitated.

Because the words about to leave his mouth were ones that would draw the Emperor's royal wrath.

If he finished this sentence, his mood would definitely become sour for the rest of the day.

The Emperor he served was someone whose temperament was always irritable. However, if enraged, his mood would drop to the floor.

Someone might even die.

"Why did you stop talking?"

Seeing Taimon hesitate, Hadel walked out of the water.

The lake rippled and purled, following his steps.

"...It seems to be someone related to the de Ach Viscounty."

Hadel froze.

His footsteps stopped in their tracks.

His pink irises turned slowly towards Taimon's hidden shadow.

Like that, there was silence for a long time.

And afterwards came a slightly cracked voice from Hadel's open lips.