Chapter Nine

"...Yes, Your Excellency. Please speak."

"Although Nella spoke harshly, I don't think you'll die."

"Right, Dad? Like I said, I've found someone amazing."

"Be quiet, Nella. Father is talking to Serienne right now."

At the Duke's scolding, Nella glared at me in vain, before turning to her food.

"If you survive the Emperor and fulfill your role well, a big reward will follow. Do you understand?"

Oho. So, he's saying that if I offer my spot to Nella at the prime moment, then take my leave, they'll give me a big reward, right?

But, oh dear.

The Emperor that you're working so passionately to fool is already my husband.

We even registered our marriage. And since Hadel is probably still storing it preciously, I doubt evidence of our marriage would just disappear.

Although many thoughts came to mind, I put them away and nodded with a resolute expression.

"...Yes, Your Excellency."

I'd never acted before, so I wasn't sure if my performance was believable or not. Seeing the Duke's pleased smile, it seemed it'd worked.

"Speaking or acting out is forbidden. You said that Viscount de Ach is your relative, right?"

Hearing my father's name coming from the Duke's mouth, I gasped.

Trying not to show it, I slowly breathed out and gave a dry reply.

"Yes. A... distant relative."

"But it seemed you had a close relationship."

"It's because it's been a while. Before then, we barely had any interactions."

"Hm. Regardless, keep in mind that Viscount de Ach is within the Valkirino domain."

Ahh. A hostage.

This is a threat that they'll keep the de Ach household as hostages.

Although I tried my best to speak without any emotion, it seemed he'd found out that I was deeply attached to the de Ach family.

Facing the Duke's purple gaze, I gave a small smile.

"Nothing that the Duke is worried about will happen."

"Hm. It's good you understand what I'm saying. Now that you're a member of the Valkirino's, I'll issue an escort guard for you."

"By escort guard, you mean..."

"It'll be a guard who you can take to the palace, so you don't have to worry about your safety no matter where you are."

"...I see. Thank you."

It's an escort guard in name, that was just a pretense for easy surveillance of me.

* * *

Time was passing by quickly.

To avoid being splashed with water every morning, I had to get up at an obscene hour, and receive terrible education each day.

Like that, two weeks passed by in a flash.

"Accessory! Bring the hair accessory!"

"Not this dress. It's too fancy!"

"Where's the necklace?"

The maids were up and about early in the morning to adorn me for the day's appointment ceremony.