Chapter Fifteen

I received the small fluffballs I requested yesterday after finishing my meal.

"Wow! They're so cute!"

In front of me, yellow balls of fluff were chirping and waddling back and forth.

Their short legs went "step step step step step" as they ran, causing a smile to come naturally to my face.

"Thank you, Madame Chunet. This will make my life at the palace less boring."

I was going to get them myself if I was annoyed by how long the maids were taking, but it all worked out.

It seemed they'd brought the chicks quickly because they were curious what I would do with them.

"Hm, what feed do I have to give them? I should give them water first..."

Although it felt like my hands would reach out to the chicks on their own, I restrained myself with all my might. I knew from experience that it was best for their health to let them just run around.

Since the more you touched the chicks, the sicker they got.

What else did I need to know...?

I wanted to raise them properly this time.

If possible, I wanted to happily raise them with Hadel, though I had no idea when he'd recognize me.

"Wow! Miss Silver Lily! How can they be this cute?"

Next to me, Mary tried to overreact as much as possible.

Just what did Madame Chunet promise her for her to change so much overnight?

Should I slowly start feeling her out?

"Madame Chunet, can you go to the palace library for me?"

Step step step step! Step step!

I spoke absentmindedly as I watched the chicks chirp and run around diligently, but it seemed it was important to Madame Chunet, since she quickly responded to my question.

"What business do you have with the palace library?"

I could feel Mary, who was pretending to be enthralled with the chicks, pricking her ears to listen.

"I want to read some books about raising chicks."

While I shrugged my shoulders, questioning why she would ask something so obvious, Madame Chunet was briefly lost in thought at my response.

"It's a bit annoying for me to go by myself... and I'm not familiar with the palace, you know?"

Dash!

One chick came to my foot and kept spinning around it, its ever-so-soft feathers tickling the top.

"Above all, I don't want to part ways with them for a single moment!"

Those words were the truth—the chicks were so cute that I wanted to keep looking at them.

Plus, someone might harass them while I was gone, so I felt a bit reluctant to leave.

"Please take care of it, Madame Chunet."

No matter how weak my power was, I was still the Queen on the outside, and Madame Chunet was the Head Maid here to assist me.

There was no way that she, as the Head Maid, could ignore my public request in front of all of these people.

Surely enough, Madame Chunet nodded her head with a polite yet blank expression.

"Understood. I'll leave the attending to Mary while I'm gone. She's a bright child, so she'll behave herself."

Madame Chunet's gaze shifted to Mary.