Chapter Ten

What do I say when I see Hadel? What kind of expression do I make so he'll recognize me?

Half-excited and half-worried, my thoughts swirled like so on the way.

Suddenly, the carriage shook violently and tilted to the side.

It wasn't a big incident, but at that moment, I could only think of the accident ten years ago when I had almost died.

The letter from Hadel back then telling me he would officially make me the empress when he was crowned emperor at the coronation ceremony.

Because Hadel was called to the palace almost immediately after we got married, we had to part ways before we could even savor married life.

However, at the thought that I was suddenly becoming the Empress, I had been afraid yet happy.

Since I believed I could do anything if I was with Hadel.

But the accident on the way to the palace where the carriage flipped over.

The guards that all disappeared.

And the sudden attack from the bandits.

I had to run away before I could even process what was happening.

In order to live and see Hadel again.

The terror I felt then was so heavy it was indescribable.

The primal fear that I might actually die like this.

The fear of what could possibly happen if I was caught by the bandits.

And the despair that I might not be able to see Hadel ever again.

I was swallowed by all of those negative emotions.

"Calm down. Calm down, Asha. This time, it's really just a small accident. That won't happen. Let's calm down. Calm down....."

Maybe it was because I was on my way to see Hadel this time too.

Or maybe my trauma resurfaced because it was a similar situation.

I don't know what the exact reason was.

But no matter how much I tried to calm myself down, I couldn't stop shaking like a leaf.

My heart was beating loudly and my thoughts kept traveling to the worst-case scenario.

I felt pathetic.

Even though I knew I was overreacting at a small carriage accident, I couldn't control my body.

I was trembling for who knows how long, when out of nowhere, I heard someone's voice.

"It's okay. There's nothing wrong, so don't be too scared, My Lady."

I was barely able to lift my head to look at the speaker..

"Oh..."

The first things I saw were his bright platinum blonde hair and his brilliant, yellow jewel-like eyes, as well as his dark tan skin uncommon for a citizen of the Empire.

"Oh, you're a knight from the Ru Tribe. I'm... okay."

At my words, the man from the Ru Tribe was quiet for a moment, before opening his mouth.

"The Duke told me to guard you well. I'll escort you safely, so do not feel so nervous."

"...Yes, thank you. Please take care of me."

I came to my senses at the word 'Duke'.

Yeah. I didn't have the time to be having a breakdown from my traumatic memories.