Chapter Eight

My sister barges into the room. Everyone turns to look at her. She turns her head and puts her hands in front of her in a way that's telling us that she doesn't want any attention.

Everyone turns back over in my direction. Kylie can be known for directing the attention around a room.

"Mom is coming in about five minutes." Leo informs me as checks his phone.

I suddenly really feel like seeing Mrs. Fitzpatrick. Her whole enthusiastic personality seems to always cheer me up.

My parents exit the room to greet Mr. Fitzpatrick. I hear him say that Leo's mom is outside,, still parking the car. I wait impatiently for her to appear at the door, Rory gripping my arm trying to find comfort for me.

Leo's father comes into the room and walks over to his son. He pats Leo's head with one hand and mine with the other. "How's it going, Amanda?"

"Could be better, I guess..." I mumble under my breath. My voice starts to trail, because Mrs. Fitzpatrick flies in, waves kindly to everyone and warmly tackles me. At least she's not choking me like last time. I let her fuss over me, until my parents come back in to notify me that the doctors told them that I will be able to leave by tomorrow morning, which means the party stays on.

"You probably won't have to go to school tomorrow. I'll have to call them to make sure." My father tells me.

"Can I stay home from school too?" Leo waves his hands in the air, demanding for attention.

"No," replies his mother. "You are to go to school and have a wonderful day there."

"I honestly don't think it will be wonderful anymore." He pouts.

"I'm sorry. I know you want to stay behind with Amanda during school. I would too, but it would be too unreasonable to all your teachers. Let alone your principal." His mother tries to comfort him.

Being loyal to Mrs. Fitzpatrick, I decide to convince him as well. "You really should go to school tomorrow. You know how Mrs. Rees can get grumpy if somebody doesn't show up or anything."

"And that would be the reason why I should stay behind with you!" He announces. Everyone laughs.