14- The Clue

"So," Chuuya said, "you entered my office without my permission because a guard told you that someone had left a bouquet of roses on my desk, right?"

Akutagawa nervously twisted his fingers.

"I'm sorry, Chuuya-san, but there could have been a bomb in the bouquet! It wasn't my intention to snoop, I swear!"

Let's rewind a bit, shall we?

Chuuya and Atsushi were in the car, heading towards the Port Mafia headquarters. They parked the car and went up to the redhead's office, where Akutagawa was looking at a photograph of Dazai and Chuuya when they were eighteen, so close that their lips were almost touching.

To make matters worse, the photograph had a message written by Dazai in one corner, which said, "So you remember that night. With love, 'Samu'."

According to Akutagawa, as soon as he arrived at the headquarters, a guard informed him that a bouquet of roses had arrived by mail and it had been left on the executive's desk, but it seemed suspicious to him, so he decided to take a look, thinking it might be a hidden bomb. Well, there was no bomb. Just the incriminating photograph mentioned earlier.

Unluckily for him, when his superior arrived, he was engrossed in looking at the photo. And Chuuya seemed on the verge of screaming a thousand insults. And the poor raven-haired boy looked like he was about to burst into tears.

And Atsushi didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

--|•|--

--|•|--

Chuuya took a deep breath.

"Akutagawa, hand me the photo," he requested with dangerously calm voice.

"No, wait, Chuuya-san," the teenager protested. "What happened that night? And why are you and Dazai-san so close to each other?"

"That's none of your business, Akutagawa," Nakahara was starting to grow impatient. "Give it to me."

"No, I want answers."

"Give it back now, Ryuūnosuke."

Akutagawa swallowed nervously. Atsushi swallowed nervously. Being called by his first name by his superior meant the situation was serious.

"Uh, Akutagawa," the albino called out, "I understand that you idolize Dazai-san, but this is too suicidal of you."

Akutagawa bit his lip but relented, handing over the photograph to Chuuya.

"Thank you," he said, now calmer.

Atsushi swallowed nervously and dared to place a hand on the raven-haired boy's shoulder.

"Uh, Chuuya-san," the albino added, "don't forget about the bouquet of roses."

"Oh, yes, you're right."