19- The Gala

Finally, the day had arrived. They had spent the entire previous night organizing and rethinking the plan thousands of times. It had to be a foolproof plan; perfect. A single mistake would result in the permanent disablement of many important ability users.

And for Chuuya, a mistake would mean becoming a widower.

They left the mafia headquarters at two in the morning and got into one of the cars prepared for them. Kenji would stay with Kouyou and Higuchi in case they had to force their way in to rescue Chuuya, Akutagawa, and Atsushi.

Gin was with Black Lizard; they were the tactical support. If something went wrong while Kenji, Higuchi, and Kouyou rescued the others, they would halt and attack the enemy.

The three who were going to infiltrate the gala were dressed very elegantly. They were even wearing a bit of makeup, courtesy of Gin. They were supposed to appear as high-society individuals.

"High society? With this on, we look more like medieval society," protested Akutagawa when he first saw the outfit Gin had made for him.

"Well, high society of the Middle Ages," retorted Chuuya. Atsushi stared at him.

"Isn't that... uncomfortable?" he asked, pointing at the corset Nakahara was wearing.

"Huh? Not at all, I'm used to it."

Atsushi and Akutagawa exchanged uncertain glances.

"Should we ask?" suggested Akutagawa.

"I vote against it."

"Then let's not ask."

Chuuya laughed. Yes, it was better that they didn't know why he was so accustomed to corsets. It was a thing between him and Dazai. But he was happy to see how those two could interact without trying to mutilate and/or kill each other. He felt joy in witnessing their growing display of emotions.

Now, Chuuya wasn't nosy or anything, but sometimes people needed a little push.

It was already six in the evening when they arrived in Tokyo, and they were starving. But they had to endure, no matter how delicious that restaurant they passed right in front of smelled.

They got off three blocks away from the Asakusa neighborhood and walked from there. It felt like stepping back in time as with each step, the houses appeared older. There were craft shops and street food stalls. Atsushi looked longingly at some French fries and kept walking.

"We've arrived," Chuuya announced.

They stopped in front of the oldest building on that block. It was tall and imposing, with a traditional Japanese style. It was also covered in ash, as if it had once been engulfed in flames.

"Wow..." sighed Akutagawa.

"Yeah, wow..." agreed Atsushi.

"Do you have your invitations?" Chuuya asked, taking his out from his coat.

"Yes."

"Good. Akutagawa, take off your coat."

"EEEHHH?!"

Just saying that made the black-haired boy go on the defensive. It was because of the coat that he could activate his ability. Without the coat, Rashomon wouldn't work. It was as simple as that. And Chuuya was asking him to remove his only means of defense?

"Don't make that face, Akutagawa," the executive scolded him. "The coat doesn't go with your outfit."

"But what if we get attacked?"

"That's what the extraction team and tactical support are for. Besides, I'm not going to throw it into the fire or anything, I'll just keep it."

After much insistence, Akutagawa reluctantly agreed. They knocked on the door three times, then two, then three again. A burly man with glasses opened it.